Part-time Religious School Teacher Needed
(2022-23 School Year) -Bet Class (2nd grade)
Pelham Jewish Center, NY
About the Position
The Pelham Jewish Center, an Egalitarian Conservative Jewish synagogue in Pelham, NY. We are located 10 miles north from NYC, in Westchester County, near New Rochelle and Mount Vernon. We are hiring a Bet class teacher for the 2022-2023 school year. Our innovative and unique religious school is committed to Jewish learning that is relevant, inspirational, and transformative. Our students take pride in their Jewish heritage, and act upon their beliefs. Visit our website at www.thepjc.org to learn more about our school and our congregation, our educational vision, and the programs we offer. If you love Judaism and children, and would like to join a young and vibrant community of learners, come be a part of our school!
Teaching our Bet (2nd graders) twice a week, on Tuesdays & Thursdays, from 4:00 pm 6:00 pm. Experience with Jewish Camps, familiarity with experiential learning and a good level of Hebrew, Prayer, Jewish History and Bible knowledge are a must. The academic year starts September 13, 2022 and ends June 1, 2023)
- Collaborate with school administration and other faculty members to create innovative and meaningful Jewish learning experiences, both in and out of the classroom.
- Prepare creative, interactive lessons as part of a well-structured curriculum. ? Regularly communicate with families outside of school hours.
- Assist in the planning and preparation of special programs, including family education and holiday celebrations.
- Attend professional development sessions for faculty outside of school hours. As a member of our faculty, you will:
- Provide a sense of caring and concern that enables our students to support one another and challenge them to grow as individuals.
- Inspire students and their families to actively engage in Jewish life. ? Model the thoughtfulness and creativity that we seek to promote in our community.
- Receive mentoring to grow as an educator as part of a staff of reflective practitioners.
Ideal candidates have the following qualifications:
- Experience teaching students in Early elementary grades in a formal or informal setting.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to teach Hebrew, Bible, Jewish history, and holidays incorporating arts, drama, movement or media.
- Comfortable teaching in a Conservative Jewish congregation to a diverse student body.
Those with summer camp or youth group backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation: $8,000/Year and commensurates with experience.
Our congregation is made of 120 dedicated members and our Learning Center enrolls 50 children from pre-K through High School.
Please email cover letter, resume and two letters of recommendation to: [email protected]