BETH SHOLOM CONGREGATION ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/OFFICE MANAGER
Beth Sholom Congregation is a Conservative-affiliated egalitarian congregation, which has served the Frederick, Maryland community for more than 100 years. We offer numerous educational and worship opportunities, social and cultural events, and community-oriented activities for members of all ages. Our website can be viewed at https://www.bethsholomfrederick.org .
The Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with the Rabbi and Cantor. In this position, the person is the welcoming “face” of Beth Sholom, and needs to be highly organized and a strong communicator with customer service experience.
This individual must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, able to work independently and operate with a high attention to detail. A great deal of flexibility and a “can-do” attitude are essential to meet the needs of a large community. In addition, the Administrative Assistant works with the Executive Director to perform basic bookkeeping tasks as described.
- Acquiring, documenting and maintaining detailed knowledge of Beth Sholom’s operations
- Answering phones and directing calls to appropriate resources.
- Answering questions and solving problems individually or in collaboration with Executive Director, Rabbi and Cantor; providing prompt, complete resolution and follow through
- Coordinating articles and activities for the monthly bulletin
- Fact-check communications for accuracy
- Drafting and developing eblasts and other items of communication to congregants
- Updating the calendar, website and social media sources with events and information
- Designing flyers and other promotional materials for events
- Process data in the ShulCloud system, entering congregant data, running reports, developing forms and rosters
- Handling registration for events
- Record, track and manage all donations and generate thank-you notes on a weekly basis
- Soliciting and interacting with vendors as needed
- Maintaining synagogue documents and filing systems
- Maintaining office supplies
- Other duties as assigned
- Supporting student registration needs and ordering supplies for the Religious School
The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Preferred Bookkeeping Experience
A basic knowledge of bookkeeping skills is required for this position. Bookkeeping duties include:
- Handling accounts receivable and posting congregant payments to ShulCloud accounts.
- Running financial reports through Quickbooks.
- Handling accounts payable and paying bills.
Qualifications and Competency Requirements
- Excellent organizational skills with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Very high level of proficiency with required software.
- Experience as an Administrative Assistant.
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Approachable with the ability to maintain positive relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Possess a high level of integrity and utilize discretion in handling confidential material.
- Ability to anticipate Executive needs and understand key business concepts and processes.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize a diversified workload, meeting established deadlines with
- minimal supervision and in a busy office environment.
- Understand the value of the role of the synagogue in the community today.
- Positive outlook and ability to maintain a calm demeanor under pressure.
- Preferred: Demonstrated expertise as a bookkeeper, including managing and tracking payments.
M-TH 9:00 am-5:00 pm, Friday- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
This is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director.
Starting salary is $42,000 annually.
To apply: Send resume to [email protected]