About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
Visit our career site to learn more: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
The Development Associate/Executive is responsible for the engagement, cultivation, and solicitation of donors and prospects in the legal community through face-to-face solicitations, the organization of fundraising events, educational projects and hands-on activities, and providing support to lay leadership committees. Among other responsibilities, the Development Associate/Executive will oversee a portfolio that includes at least one subspecialty with a fundraising event and at least two campaigns at several large New York law firms. We are looking for a personable, organized, and thoughtful applicant. To be successful, you must be able to work and collaborate effectively with the Lawyers Division team and the broader UJA team, both volunteer and professional.
Legal experience not required. This is a position in the Fundraising Department.
· Educate donors and prospects about the mission of UJA-Federation of New York in ways that inspire them to give. Accomplish this through one-on-one meetings, fundraising events, educational programs, mitzvah projects, agency visits, and missions.
· Develop and implement appropriate fundraising strategies to increase the dollars raised for the Annual Campaign. This includes thinking strategically about the legal community and tailoring programs and initiatives to that community.
· Collaborate with staff in other divisions to develop initiatives across divisional lines.
· Provide professional support to the leadership bodies of the subspecialty groups in their portfolio. This includes agenda setting, preparing reports and presentations, writing meeting notes, and providing follow up.
· Maintain records of donor engagement and evaluate progress regularly with supervisor.
· Develop and update research on individuals and companies in the Lawyers Division portfolio, as well as philanthropic trends in the legal community. Includes identification of viable prospects through outreach and relationship-building activities, and reading newspapers, trade publications, journals, and other related materials to remain generally informed.
Qualifications & Competencies
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Two or more years of post-college work experience
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
· Knowledge of issues facing the Jewish community and passion for UJA-Federation’s mission
· Ability to initiate and follow-through on self-defined goals and objectives while remaining part of a collaborative team
· Strong critical thinking and analytic abilities
· Problem-solver with meticulous attention to detail
· Friendly and enthusiastic presence
· Comfort and confidence in prioritizing work in a fast-paced environment
· Flexibility to work at events and programs when required, which may be outside of normal business hours
How to Apply:
Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement:
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.