Director of Adult Programs
Temple Shaaray Tefila is at an exciting time in the life of our congregation as we embark on new plans to increase membership and grow the impact we can make on our neighborhood. Temple Shaaray Tefila is a 600+ member unit Reform synagogue on the Upper East Side of New York City under the leadership of Senior Rabbi Joel Mosbacher and a talented team of professionals. We are a community driven by meaning, connection, and purpose, rooted in Reform Jewish values, and animated by our commitment to each other and the world.
Position: Director of Adult Programs (full-time)
Reports to: Executive Director and partners with Senior Rabbi
Start Date: TBD
Requirements: Masters Degree in Jewish Education or relevant advanced degree
Experience: 0-3 years post Masters Degree
Salary Range: $75,000-$80,000 commensurate with experience
Benefits: 3 Weeks Paid vacation, Sick leave, Medical Insurance, Paid Holidays, FSA, Professional Development/Conference Budget, RPB Contribution
Send Resume, Cover Letter and References to Amy Schwach: [email protected]
The Director of Adult Programs (DAP) is a full time position that will report to the Executive Director and partner with the Senior Rabbi, and will primarily work in the area of adult programming. They will be a part of a team that meets to think about the education and engagement of the whole congregation. Our DAP will act as a thought partner to our education team and our pulpit clergy in planning, developing, and implementing educational, social, spiritual, community service, and volunteer experiences for adults. The DAP will collaborate with the full TST staff and key lay leaders to ensure that all of our adult programs and experiences are designed to effectively engage current and prospective congregants in meaningful ways to deepen their connection to our congregation, Jewish life, and with one another.
The person who fills this position must be passionate about building relationships with existing and prospective members, identifying new leaders, and partnering with staff and members to create and implement a wide variety of high-quality, innovative experiences for adults.
The DAP must be a strategic thinker who can partner with others to design and deliver programming that will broaden the participants’ involvement with and commitment to the synagogue. At the same time, this person must be detail-oriented and skilled at scheduling, managing logistics and evaluating programs and the overall participant experience.
- Work with lay leaders and staff to create and implement a vision for excellent and engaging adult programs inside and outside the building
- Be on a constant search for new leaders, and help our staff and lay leaders think strategically about how to grow our membership.
- Set measurable annual goals for adult programs to strengthen our members’ Jewish identity, achieve our organizational strategic objectives around deepening and increasing synagogue membership and engagement, and foster stronger relationships with the people we serve.
- Direct day to day operations of adult classes and programs in partnership with the Programs Administrative Assistant.
- Partner with staff and leaders to coordinate Affinity Groups (Sisterhood, Social Club, Seniors, Men’s Group, Nursery School Families, Religious School Families, Caring Committee, Book Club, Israel Engagement, Sanctuary Stitchers)
- Partner with our Assistant Rabbi on Social Justice and Small Groups initiatives
- Participate in periodic Shabbat, High Holiday, Holiday, and Special Event programming
- Lead periodic all-staff meetings to coordinate holiday programming
- Coordinate the annual synagogue calendaring process
- Report to the Board of Trustees as necessary about developments in Adult Programming
- Prepare and present the annual Adult Programming budget to the Finance Committee
The job and responsibilities of the DAP may change and fluctuate depending on the changing needs of the congregation and the particular interests and bandwidth of the DAP.