Sefaria, a non-profit organization dedicated to building the future of Torah in an open and participatory way, seeks a full-time Digital Designer to manage all aspects of Sefaria’s email marketing, social media, advertisements, in-product marketing, virtual events, and special initiatives.
The Digital Designer is a new position created to address Sefaria’s growing marketing and communications activities as outlined in our new multi-year growth strategy.
The Designer will be responsible for all of Sefaria’s design needs, including email templates, social media graphics, landing page design, marketing materials, potential creation of video content, and more. The candidate will need to be technically skilled in Adobe Suite and Canva — with some knowledge of HTML — and comfortable working with multiple systems and social media platforms.
On a monthly basis, the Designer will be responsible for creating graphics for 20-30 social media posts and 10-20 emails, along with landing page design, special projects like fundraising campaigns, and internal communications. The Designer will work closely with the Senior Communications Manager on the creation of social and email graphics, and with the whole Marketing team on the creation of landing pages, as well as with members of other departments to respond to other design requests.
The ideal candidate is organized, detail-oriented, open to feedback, and able to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team in a remote environment. This is a fast-paced position responsible for keeping multiple projects running smoothly and responding to last-minute requests.
The Digital Designer will report directly to the Director of Marketing & Communications.
In this position you will:
- Design graphics for social media and mass emails in accordance with our brand
- Develop new templates for email design
- Concept, wireframe, and design landing pages into easy-to-use interfaces using Figma
- Create and edit video content for social media, events, and fundraising, based on candidate’s experience
- Respond to other graphic design needs from across the team (e.g. annual report, decks, presentations, marketing materials, etc)
- Maintain Sefaria’s visual brand guidelines
- Project manage external vendors working on branding projects and campaigns
- Work with the Director of Marketing & Communications to translate and create marketing requirements into compelling campaigns and designs
- Provide general administrative support to the Marketing & Communications Department and complete other tasks as needed
Experience, qualifications, and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, information design, digital design, or related field — or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience
- A combination of relevant work experience and education to successfully perform the core responsibilities of the position
- Social media savvy
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premier, and AfterEffects)
- Knowledge of Figma, or ability to learn to use the program
- Demonstrated experience with UX/UI
- Basic HTML/CSS skills
- Knowledge about Jewish texts and Jewish culture
- Strong project management skills with the ability to track multiple projects and meet tight and ongoing deadlines
- Proficiency in working with technology in an online work environment including GSuite, Slack, Zoom, Trello (training will be provided, as needed)
Attributes we’re looking for include:
- Committed to direct, clear, professional, and thoughtful communication.
- Demonstrates success in working independently in a remote setting.
- Shows a willingness and ability to adapt to change.
- Passionate and enthusiastic for the work Sefaria does, and dedicated to supporting Sefaria’s mission.
- The annual salary range for this position is $60,000 - 70,000
- Medical, dental and vision insurance; Sefaria offers four comprehensive medical insurance options, three of which are covered 100% by Sefaria for our employees; Sefaria contributes an additional small amount toward dependents
- Generous paid time off, including Jewish holidays
- Paid parental leave
- 401k with up to a 4% match after six months
- Access to a Flexible Spending Account for health and dependent care expenses
- Employer-paid short- and long-term disability insurance
- Professional development budget
- Work-from-home utility reimbursement
The Digital Designer can be based anywhere in the US with a preference for Eastern or Central time zones. Sefaria has staff in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Providence, Chicago, and St. Louis.
How to apply:
You’ll be invited to share your resume, brief cover letter, and portfolio. In your cover letter, please indicate why you are interested in the position and your top qualifications. Applications will be reviewed starting on November 14th.
Please include at least 75% of the following in your portfolio in a combined PDF format:
- Social media graphics for a variety of platforms
- Instagram story design
- Landing page wireframes and final designs
- Marketing collateral
- Short video content including graphic elements
- Branding design
- Email design
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications listed in this description, we encourage you to apply.
If you have a disability and require accommodation or assistance with our application process, please fill out the relevant form.
Sefaria does not accept solicitations of any kind from job placement services or phone calls from prospective candidates.
Sefaria is a non-profit organization dedicated to building the future of Torah in an open and participatory way. We are assembling a free, digital library of Jewish texts and translations and developing digital tools, educational resources, and engagement opportunities that enable people to deepen their study. Sefaria was founded in 2013 and has since become a mainstay of Jewish learning and education with more than 4 million users annually. Sefaria’s API powers nearly 80 independent projects and dozens of Torah-focused websites. Sefaria's team of more than 20 full-time staff is remote, with employees based in several U.S. cities and in Israel.
Sefaria provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Nothing in this job description or advertisement postings guarantees employment.