About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
Visit our career site to learn more: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
Are you passionate about ensuring the financial well-being of New York's Jewish communal sector? Do you have an eye for detail and ability to communicate complex information to internal and external partners? If you answered yes, then read on.
Reporting to the Vice President of the Planned Giving & Endowments Department (PG&E), the Manager of Trusts and Estates will be the key liaison to all executors and attorneys handling estate matters. Overseeing over $30 million in income every year, the Manager will have responsibility to ensure that UJA-Federation receives its appropriate share of cash and assets from estates and trusts in which it is named as a beneficiary.
· Receive and process Notice of Probate, Wills and Trust documents
· Proactively follow up with estate attorneys and executors to ensure the timeliness and accuracy of the estate gift
· Communication with attorneys, trustees, executors, personal representatives and other estate and trust administrators as needed to facilitate and ensure timely distributions of bequests to UJA
· Work with legal, financial and accounting professionals to secure funds for UJA through a donor's will, trust, retirement account, real estate of other type of estate gift
· Review and monitor procedures for maintaining current and accurate information for all estates and trusts under administration to ensure security, data integrity and confidentiality of donor and estate records as required using specialized estate administration and donor database software
· Coordinate appropriate acknowledgement letters to executors, attorneys and family
· Evaluate legal documents and estate accountings
· Collaborate with Planned Giving staff regarding current and future legacy donors
· Research decedents' campaign giving and life history and provide estate profiles to highlight legacy gifts for Annual Campaign colleagues
· Update Annual campaign and other staff colleagues about funds received from estates.
· Maintain both electronic and physical estate files
· Monitor estate database to ensure that all bequests all properly recorded
· Advises General Counsel about problematic cases which may involve the engagement of outside counsel
· Review and prepare documents for signature (Receipt and Release, Inheritance or Annuity Claim forms, etc.) and forward to the appropriate signatory
· Maintain contact and collaboration with colleagues in nonprofit organizations regarding estate gifts
· Coordinate with finance and grants staff as needed with respect to restrictions on estate gifts
Competencies and Skills:
· Bachelor’s degree required; law degree preferred
· Excellent communication and writing skills necessary
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
· Proactive and detail-oriented
· Demonstrates ability to prioritize and multitask in a demanding work environment
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; comfortable working with various databases
The salary range for this role is $95,000 - $115,000; commensurate with experience and qualifications listed above.
How to Apply:
Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement:
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.