About the Organization
The world’s largest local philanthropy, UJA-Federation of New York’s mission is to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, to respond to crises close to home and far away, and to shape our Jewish future. Funds raised by UJA-Federation sustain the activities of local health, human-service, educational, and community agencies. Every day, these community-based organizations provide a multitude of services that improve and enhance people’s lives.
The Entertainment, Tech & Lifestyle division of UJA-Federation of New York seeks a proactive, self-motivated, and flexible Development Specialist/Associate. The candidate will be responsible for fundraising and engagement across two portfolios focused on the media, marketing, and advertising industries. The candidate must be able to work independently, in a team setting and alongside professional and volunteer leadership. The activities of this division are fast-paced and high energy; therefore, this role requires a team-player with the ability to multi-task, trouble-shoot, and be a forward-thinker.
· Maintain and grow the two fundraising portfolios described below. Identify, cultivate, solicit, and engage individual and corporate donors in support of campaign growth.
o Content Division, which may include donors with backgrounds in media, content creation, streaming services, and cable and film networks.
o Marketing Communications Division, which may include donors with backgrounds in advertising, tech, marketing, branding, PR, and out-of-
· In conjunction with lay leadership, develop and implement appropriate fundraising and community-building strategies within relevant industries, including one-on-one solicitations; fundraising events; speaker programs or panels on timely industry topics and/or campaigns at key companies.
· Educate donors and prospects about the mission and work of UJA through one-on-one cultivation activities, agency site visits, volunteer projects, missions, educational programs, fundraising events, corporate/industry briefings and other meaningful activities.
· Oversee and manage multiple annual division fundraising events, including securing honorees, organizing event committees as necessary, leveraging existing leadership for fundraising opportunities, coordinating with corporate donors, and interfacing with internal departments and external vendors while carefully coordinating logistics such as journal ads, seating, and program ideation.
· Work closely with leadership to strategize, grow, and strengthen each portfolio, including by cultivating donors, maximizing opportunities for relationship building, and engaging and leveraging lay leaders to increase dollars raised and expand donor base.
· Collaborate with staff across the organization – including fundraising and non-fundraising professionals -- to develop and implement strategies to maximize engagement with donors, their companies, and their families.
· Involve lay leadership in strategic manner, including to grow and strengthen each portfolio, by cultivating donors, maximizing opportunities for relationship building, and engaging and leveraging lay leaders to increase dollars raised and expand donor base. Develop and implement plan(s) to assure quality lay leadership for upcoming and successive campaigns.
· Partner with lay leadership and provide necessary professional support to lay committees, including agenda setting, preparing reports and presentations, writing meeting notes, and conducting follow up.
· Understand the content/media and marketing/advertising business landscape and stay up to date on industry news, timely topics and future direction.
· Build positive UJA-Federation brand awareness among industry professionals.
· Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising, or sales experience in relevant industries required.
· Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, and relationship-building skills
· Strong customer-service orientation.
· Team player with the ability to multitask and handle multiple competing priorities.
· Ability to work in a team environment while pursuing individual assignments.
· Creative, energetic, self-motivated, quick learner.
· Knowledge of and interest in media, marketing and broadcast/cable industries a plus. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
· Should be comfortable and adept at communicating and presenting in person and via digital/remote platforms.
· Knowledge of issues facing the Jewish community and passion for UJA-Federation’s mission.