Director at Western Hillel
The Director at Western Hillel is a creative and engaging individual with a strong sense of Jewish leadership and a bold vision to transform Jewish life at Western. The next Director will have a strong Jewish background and a relationship with Israel and a strong understanding of community building. They are capable of working both independently and as part of a team. Hillel Western is undergoing a rebuilding process and it is with this in mind that you will work with your team to develop and execute on a strategic vision to rejuvenate Jewish life on campus . You are warm and welcoming, and can bring your passion for building Jewish community to one of the largest Jewish student bodies across Canada. You will inspire and mentor students and staff, and will use these skills to engage students and drive Hillel’s mission, values and goals. You will have an entrepreneurial spirit, are flexible and adaptable and can lead a team to growth and success.
Reports to: Chief Campus Officer
What You’ll Be Responsible For
- Student Leadership Development
- Model positive leadership
- Build on the current leadership model by engaging new leadership students
- Advise and support the student leaders and their initiatives
- Identify leadership development opportunities for empowering students
- Engagement & Program Development
- Be a visible Jewish presence on campus
- Identify uninvolved student populations and develop strategies for contacting and serving them
- Leverage data to develop campus engagement strategies
- Develop one-on-one relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they live, work and/or study, utilizing creative methods to reach and engage them
- Support student-initiated programs; attend most programs (including evenings, weekends, Jewish holidays)
- Play a key role in planning and evaluating all programming
- Be an experiential Jewish educator who nurtures the Jewish growth of others through conversations and actions
- Add accessible Jewish content and depth to programs on campus
- Publicity, External Relations, and Philanthropy
- Develop/maintain strong relationships with the university administration at Western
- Act as a campus liaison for external groups, including Birthright Israel & Masa (campus recruitment, and follow-through activities)
- Lead campus-based philanthropic efforts at Hillel Western, working with campus and Development team to raise at least $10,000 annually
- Identify and cultivate major gift donors with a connection to Western with the assistance of the Development team
- Israel Advocacy
- Provide immediate on-site assistance in managing advocacy strategies and crises, supported by Chief Communication & Public Affairs Officer
- Develop proactive Israel advocacy strategies with local Advocacy Director specific to meet the campus’s needs, maximizing the full array of national and local advocacy services
- Monitor antisemitic and anti-Israel activities on campus, including on social media, and guide responses
- Human Resource Management
- Supervise and mentor Hillel Western staff members, with attention to both their productivity and professional growth, both in person and remote
- Provide opportunities for continuing professional training and education
- Ensure that all staff attend the appropriate conferences and training opportunities
- Participate in ongoing Jewish learning and professional development - Individually and with colleagues
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Manage email list and CRM data entry
- Manage programming and administrative budget
- Manage Hillel Wetsern’s facility located at 1192 Richmond street. While a property manager is engaged, you may be required to be on site for repairs and/or maintenance.
- Ensure that Senior Leadership is provided with content that can be shared with key stakeholders.
- Gather data for fundraising communications
- Participate in regular professional supervision and staff meetings
- Apply for additional funding and secure program grants from partner organizations, where applicable
What you’ll bring to the job:
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree, with 5+ years relevant work experience, fundraising experience is an asset
- Well-versed in Jewish culture with access to educational resources and topics
- A deep commitment to Israel and a nuanced understanding of effective engagement, education, and advocacy strategies
- Ability to connect to university students, patience, and excellent listening skills
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines
- Capacity to work both independently and as part of a larger provincial team
- Knowledge about network management and social networking processes
- Energy, a sense of humor, flexibility and maturity
What you’ll get out of the position:
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range is $60,000-$70,000, commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive medical and health benefits, including Long Term Disability coverage and Life Insurance, generous paid vacation, sick and mental health days
- Great professional development, coaching and mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Unlimited paid coffee dates with students
- Flexible work hours
- Amazing colleagues and a fun and fast paced work environment
- This position has an anticipated start date of July 1, 2022
About Hillel Ontario
Hillel Ontario serves approximately 14,000 Jewish students across nine universities, and is the largest regional Hillel system in the world. A model for the Hillel movement, Hillel Ontario was created on October 1, 2015 and strives to inspire every Jewish student in Ontario to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
About Western Hillel
Serving the campus’s 2500 Jewish students, Western Hillel is the center for Jewish life at Western University. A pluralistic and dynamic organization that empowers students to curate Jewish life on campus, Western Hillel seeks to enrich students’ Jewish life and leadership experience while studying at University. With a focus on education, social action, wellness, arts and culture, Israel, leadership development and networking events, Western Hillel has something for everyone. Western Hillel has a beautiful Hillel House close to campus. This beautiful building offers students a safe and cozy hub to celebrate holidays, hang out with friends, grab a yummy kosher meal and study for exams.
About Western University
Located in London, Ontario, Western University has over 40,000 students across 12 faculties and 3 colleges. Western delivers an academic experience second to none, challenging the best and brightest to commit to the highest global standards. Western is ranked among the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide. It is a founding member of the U15 – Canada’s most distinguished research universities.Western is deeply proud of it’s 95.2% employment rate after graduation. There are more than 328,000 alumni in 160 countries worldwide
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Western Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.