The Harold Grinspoon Foundation is seeking a seasoned fundraising leader with expertise in planned giving, major gifts, volunteer engagement, training and building community partnerships. The Director of Life & Legacy will have the opportunity to enhance the engagement of current partners, to continue the training and enhancement of community cultures of giving and to create strategies to expand the number of participating communities, with a focus in larger cities. The Foundation is seeking an aspirational and motivational leader who enjoys travel, public speaking, coaching, and engaging with lay leaders and professionals in the Jewish community.
The Director leads a small team of Life & Legacy community consultants and oversees the design and implementation of an ever-evolving curriculum and range of services to an ever-growing number of Jewish communities and organizations.
About Life & Legacy:
Life & Legacy provides training, support, and monetary incentives to Jewish organizations that want to build permanent endowments. From Chicago to Charleston and Montreal to Calgary, loyal donors are honoring values instilled by parents and grandparents, commemorating loved ones, and perpetuating Jewish values of generosity and tzedakah. New and existing endowments have already received more than $149 million, and distributions are supporting organizational operating budgets.
About Harold Grinspoon Foundation:
Since 1991, the Harold Grinspoon Foundation has invested more than $320 million in programs that make Jewish life and Jewish community more vibrant and more connected. Today the Foundation supports an assortment of innovative programs – with the newest initiative always just a spark of inspiration away. Founded by real estate guru and successful businessman, Harold Grinspoon, the Harold Grinspoon Foundation is one of the most entrepreneurial and business-oriented non-profits in the country.
Director of Life & Legacy Responsibilities:
- Recruit, supervise and develop team members to advance the strength of the Life & Legacy department within the foundation.
- Design, implement and continually enhance a curriculum and other support services that provides community partners and participating organizations with the skills they need to implement a sustainable legacy initiative.
- Recruit and select new community partners to expand the Life & Legacy network and engage as many Jewish organizations in building their endowments through legacy giving as possible.
- Serve as the senior endowment and legacy building expert at the Foundation, advising other programs on endowment and legacy giving trends and best practices and ensuring the legacy team is poised to provide practical resources across Foundation programs.
- Regularly report program benchmarks, success and challenges to the COO, President, and Board of Trustees.
- Serve on the HGF management team.
- Serve as an additional representative for the Foundation, effectively and meaningfully communicating program values and mission with various constituencies.
- Manage and coach team members charged with coaching, training, and supporting community partners through the four-year curriculum.
- Ensure the Life & Legacy team is appropriately resourced to support its efforts.
- Execute thoughtful systems and processes to measure and ensure progress.
- Oversee the life cycle of our partnership with each community.
- Develop and enhance procedures for accepting community partners, overseeing grant implementation, and tracking progress.
- Manage the budget (approximately $3 million per year) and prepare financial analyses as required.
- Oversee an evaluation process as needed.
- Publicize the Life & Legacy program and achievements.
- Host an annual conference of over 200 Jewish professionals and lay leaders, featuring expert and peer-led sessions, awards, and specialized sessions for community legacy coordinators.
- Serve as the Legacy Community Consultant for a caseload of communities
- Oversee and enhance Life & Legacy for JCamp 180 in conjunction with JCamp 180 staff.
- Ensure the Life & Legacy website it kept up to date and an ever-increasing number of resources are accessible to community partners.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends in legacy giving and endowments to keep Life & Legacy curriculum relevant.
Skills and/or Experience Required
- 10-12 years of senior management, fundraising, and endowment building experience
- Experience in administering a legacy and endowment building program.
- Demonstrated success in building and managing a highly skilled staff team towards successfully executing the four-year curriculum in partner communities and achieving goals.
- Collaborative, highly motivated and creative thinker who goes above and beyond to ensure results.
- Strong communication skills and ability to build meaningful relationships with various constituencies.
- Strong analytic, oral, and written communication skills are essential.
- Excellent presenter.
- Motivated by the mission of Life & Legacy and the Harold Grinspoon Foundation.
- Excellent attention to detail; time management and organizational skills.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Travel throughout North America required, more if not based in Western MA (approximately 25%+ of time).
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary $160,000.
- The Harold Grinspoon Foundation offers generous health, retirement, and other benefits
- This is a remote position, with 25% travel across North America
HGF is an equal opportunity employer. The foundation celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Furthermore, it does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
To learn more about this exciting new role, please send a cover letter and resume to Wendy Wilsker, Managing Partner, Boyden at [email protected]