Gesher Jewish Day School is seeking a new Director of Development to build upon our successes and establish the financial basis for our long-term growth and stability. We are a warm, JK - 8th grade Jewish community school dedicated to nurturing a growth mindset, cultivating joy, and Jewish belonging. We have creative, inspiring teachers, an administration dedicated to professional growth of all faculty and a highly supportive board. We are located in Fairfax, Virginia in suburban Washington, D.C. on a large 28 acre wooded campus with a garden, hiking trails, vernal pond, and meadow. Caring classroom environments with engaging, hands-on learning experiences are hallmarks of Gesher JDS.
At Gesher, we prioritize the cultivation of relationships which foster support, respect, and collaboration. We build trust through responsive communication and listening with curiosity. The Director of Development is a critical partner in our growth and a core partner in the Gesher community experience. Over the past two years, our enrollment has grown by 60% and we are seeking a Director of Development who can help usher us through this next phase of our institutional history.
The Director of Development works in collaboration with the Head of School, professional and lay leaders, including our Board of Trustees, to create and implement a strategic development vision and plan for investment in Gesher JDS. This professional helps shape our strategy and messaging and ensures the long-term success of Gesher in the Jewish community.
What we seek:
- Experience and expertise in annual fundraising campaigns, planned giving, personal solicitation, telemarketing, direct mail, and social media
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with prospects, donors and leadership.
- Comfort and knowledge of donor or customer relation databases.
- A builder, able to manage the development team comprised of lay and professional leaders. This includes supporting their growth and
increasing their capacity as board members and lay leaders.
- The ability to increase our multi-year pledge pipeline as we prepare for the school’s 40th anniversary.
- Someone to work with Gesher JDS leadership to coordinate community initiatives and foster strategic partnerships.
- Creatively and effectively produce fundraiser and friend raiser events in collaboration with the Advancement team.
What You Will Bring to the Job:
- Passion, commitment and dedication to creating vibrant Jewish life in our community and a desire to expand Gesher Jewish Day School’s
donor base in support of our vision and mission.
- An ability to tell Gesher’s story through words and data.
- Entrepreneurial work ethic and a strategic vision.
- Determination and tenacity to succeed.
- Commitment to excellence.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Gesher.
- Awareness of current trends in Jewish life, Jewish community and philanthropy.
- Joy and a passion for the Jewish community and Jewish day schools.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
What You Will Receive:
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. $85k-$100k.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, flexible spending account options, retirement plan, Life and AD&D
insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability insurance, and generous vacation/sick time.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Plenty of Gesher swag and a beautiful place to work everyday.
- Professionals and lay leaders ready and able to work with you to achieve our shared goals and objectives.
- Opportunities for growth and management.
- A lot of joy and job satisfaction knowing your part of the team that makes a meaningful impact in the lives of Jewish families across our
- Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Has knowledge and experience with annual giving, planned giving, and grant writing.
- Excellent written and relationship-building skills.
- Familiarity with the Jewish communal institutions and Greater Washington partners.
- Strong communication, multitasking, and organizational skills required.
- Ability to be creative and be detail oriented.
Gesher Jewish Day School is open and in person 5 days a week. For the health and safety of our community, we require teachers and students to wear masks, social distance and have a daily health screening currently. 100% of our faculty are vaccinated and proof of COVID vaccination is required for all new staff and faculty.
Gesher Jewish Day School is committed to equal employment opportunity and will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including but not limited to veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, and physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
About Gesher JDS
Founded in 1982, Gesher Jewish Day School (Gesher JDS) grows learners and leaders by cultivating Jewish joy and connection in our beautifully diverse community! Gesher JDS is a welcoming, pluralistic community where children of varied practices and approaches to Judaism come together to learn and where responsibility for self, caring for others, and stewardship of the environment are core values. In partnership with committed parents, we provide an outstanding education anchored in Jewish values that enables our children to grow into adults engaged in healthy relationships, creative work, ethical leadership, and communal involvement. Gesher JDS serves students from Jr. Kindergarten through 8th grade.
We are growing! We currently serve over 120 families (173 students) and 42 faculty and staff members.