Communications and Data Associate
The Well, Metro Detroit’s trendsetting and inclusive community building, education and spirituality outreach initiative, is seeking a dynamic, creative, and entrepreneurial self-starter to join the team as our Communications and Data Associate!
We are looking for someone passionate about social media and communications with at least 1-2 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) to join our team and help us take our efforts to the next level. This person should also understand the importance of data systems management as a core ingredient for organizational excellence.
What you’re great at:
- Storytelling, both written and verbal
- Copywriting, with an eagle eye for proofreading
- Creating promotional graphics for events using Canva or Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Managing and creating systems for keeping data organized and ready for reporting
- Developing and supporting multiple projects at once (multi-tasking!)
- Working with others, whether they be partner organizations or volunteer leaders
- Actively participating on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc.)
- Thinking about the big picture while keeping all the small details in mind
- Taking initiative!
What you’ll do:
Communications & Data Management (80%)
- Manage the social media presence for The Well across all channels, including engaging with followers, responding to comments, and answering DMs
- Maintain The Well’s main website (meetyouatthewell.org) as well as the sites for the Friendseder and Sukkot Sounds projects (friendseder.com and sukkotsounds.com)
- Create and maintain event listings on Facebook and Jlive, and other platforms as necessary, in collaboration with other program staff
- Design promotional graphics using Canva, Adobe Suite, or equivalent program
- Maintain Mailchimp listserv database and implement optimization strategies
- Utilize Mailchimp to create and send monthly newsletter and other email campaigns
- Develop and implement a monthly communications and social media calendar, consulting with the Executive Director and Director of Operations on thematic messaging when applicable
- Aggregate participant data such as program attendance and donation records in The Well’s CRM (Little Green Light) and maintain organization for easy reporting
- Assist with grant writing and reporting as needed
Community Building & Program Support (20%)
Every member of The Well team participates in our grassroots community building efforts. While the bulk of your days will be spent on all things communications and data management, we expect this role to execute some programming and engagement tasks. These include:
- Engaging with community members on coffee dates (one-on-one meetings)
- Network weaving: helping our community members to connect to the activities, opportunities, and individuals they’re seeking out, to build a more robust community overall
- Keeping an eye out for new partnership opportunities, both within and outside of the Jewish community
- Regularly attending a majority of The Well’s programming, including assisting with set-up, clean-up, and/or other tasks as assigned
- Promoting events and opportunities to your own network, and recruiting event attendees from The Well’s network utilizing email, text messaging, and/or social media
Attending weekly staff meetings, brainstorming new ideas, and being aware of what is happening in Jewish innovation on the national level will also be part of your role. If you bring a little extra energy and off the wall weirdness to the team, we’re sure you’ll fit right in! This role will work closely with The Well team and report to the Director of Operations, Marisa Meyerson.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 1-2 years of experience in social media, graphic design, communications, and/or data management or related field
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an eagle eye for proofreading
- Basic graphic design skills using Canva and/or Adobe Suite
- Fluent in Google Suite applications (Gmail, Calendar, Drive) and proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Tech savvy and a quick learner for new platforms and tools
- Experience with website management, preferably with Squarespace and/or Wix
- Fluent in various social media platforms, especially Facebook and Instagram
- Strong organizational skills, “can do” attitude, ability to work independently and as part of a team, and with volunteers and partner organizations
- Experience with and openness to relating to people of all backgrounds, degrees of knowledge, and religious observance levels
- Understanding of local, regional, and national media outlets
- Energy, excitement, and passion about Jewish innovation and building community for young adults
The Well team works remotely many days of the week, but this role should be local to Metro Detroit for occasional meetings and programs. This position involves a flexible schedule and you must be willing to work some nights and weekends.
What you’ll get:
- Competitive compensation with requisite experience ($35,000 - $38,000) and generous benefits
- Flexible working hours and locations (though this role is 70% remote, team members should be local to Metro Detroit)
- All the coffee you can drink during coffee dates!
- Mentorship and professional development opportunities
- Opportunity to evolve one of the most innovative Jewish projects around!
- Funds available for relocation for those moving from out of state.
The Communications and Data Associate will ideally begin work on or near April 1, 2023.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume through the form available here.
The Well is a project of the Lori Talsky Zekelman Fund at Temple Israel of Metropolitan Detroit, and we are strongly committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals, and will make all employment decisions for staff and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, alienage, citizenship or any other basis protected by law.
More About The Well:
The mission of The Well is to dramatically increase the number of people actively participating in inclusive community-centric Jewish living in Metro Detroit by means of relationship building, network weaving, and participant-driven programming. Our belief is that Jewish community, ethics, values, and spirituality can and should be directly applicable to our lives, and should drive us to positively impact the world around us. To learn more, visit our website.
About Metro Detroit:
Detroit is home to the most exciting young Jewish adult resurgence in the country! With an affordable cost of living, Midwest kindness, quality professional sports, arts and culture, a rebirth of the city center (not to mention an incredible and growing local food scene) and a Jewish community known for its generosity, we’re convinced there’s no better place to be to have an outsized impact and to call home!