Mensch Academy facilitators create joyful and affirming learning spaces for the children in their classrooms and participate as full members of the Mensch Academy team. This job is a part time, hourly position in our Chicago office, reporting to the Director of Mensch Academy and working closely with their co-facilitator and the facilitator team. You can expect to work 15-25 hours per week when Mensch Academy is in session, throughout the academic year.
Mensch Academy is Mishkan Chicago’s supplementary Jewish educational program where kids feel loved enough and safe enough to take risks and experiment with Jewish tradition, make it their own, and are always welcomed as their whole selves. The role of Mensch Academy Facilitator requires creative and adaptive approaches to relationship building, lesson planning, and teaching. We teach with kavod/respect for each person’s mind and spirit, adults and children alike. Grounded in progressive education pedagogy, Mensch Academy places focus not only on teaching kids, but on growing and developing thoughtful, reflective educators.
Mishkan Chicago is a Jewish Spiritual Community located in Chicago, Illinois. We reinvent and breathe new life into Judaism. We create radically inclusive spaces for Jewish spiritual practice and community, engaging, educating, and empowering people across the spectrum of identity, background, age, and belief. Our aim is to lead people in Chicago and beyond toward more purposeful, more connected, and more inspired lives.
Mishkan Chicago/Mensch Academy seeks diversity in its staff and educators. That means we invite applications from different denominations, religious and cultural backgrounds. We are searching for candidates of color, candidates who are disabled, candidates who are neurodivergent, candidates who are Jews by choice, candidates in the LGBTQ community, and candidates on any part of the incredibly rich gender spectrum.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a valuable member of our teaching team
- Participate in prep and debrief sessions as required
- Bring your full self and strong presence to team meetings and brainstorms
- Able to take on out-of-class responsibilities such as securing supplies, preparing classroom space, snack, and organizing student information
- Co-Facilitator for Mensch Classroom
- Be in the Mensch Academy space and classroom on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday afternoons, from 1:00-6:15 on Monday and Tuesday and 2:00-6:15 on Wednesdays
- Design and/or support lesson plan creation
- Participate in collective prep and debrief sessions on Mon-Weds afternoons
- Participate in regular paid professional development
- Communicate with families as needed
Who We’re Looking For:
- Background in Jewish and/or experiential education
- Hebrew literacy or familiarity
- Experience working with children
- Experience with meeting deadlines, fulfilling responsibilities, and working on a team
- Excitement about progressive, child-centered education
- Song leading or guitar experience preferred (but not required)
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by July 8th, 2022.
Systemic inequities in hiring have caused women, people of color, LBTQIA+ folks, and others to apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Mishkan encourages you to break that statistic and apply, as no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
Mishkan is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees with respect to any terms or conditions of employment on account of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related condition, citizenship, military service status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. When necessary, Mishkan will reasonably accommodate employees and applicants with known physical or mental disabilities or medical conditions if the person is otherwise qualified to safely perform all of the essential functions of the position.