Kol Ami is the largest Reform congregation in Southern Arizona and is seeking to hire a Director of Engagement, Programming and Membership. Kol Ami provides spiritual, educational, cultural, social activities, programs, and services to more than 500 families. Kol Ami seeks a warm, self-directed, energetic professional to fill this new role. This is a key leadership forward-facing position responsible for the day-to-day management of Kol Ami’s recruitment, engagement, renewal and retention efforts. The Director develops and implements strategies to identify and recruit new member prospects, encourage engagement, and identify leadership opportunities for current members. The Director will focus on creating connections and community for Kol Ami’s members through innovative programming, volunteer opportunities, and engagement initiatives that are high quality, inclusive, and aligned with Kol Ami’s mission. The Director should be willing to work weekends and evenings as required. This position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Clergy and lay leadership.
Membership Recruitment and Retention
• Lead efforts to recruit, retain, and meaningfully engage members; support and guide Welcoming Committee and liaise with other volunteer leaders; attend and provide status reports to Board of Trustees on a regular basis. Create ambassador/engagement program with Welcoming Committee.
• Develops outreach strategies for reaching new member prospects, including overseeing new member and potential member mailings.
• Manages membership inquiries by welcoming, tracking and following up with prospective members.
• Helps to ensure that new members are integrated into the Kol Ami community.
• Builds relationships with members, proactively engaging them for ongoing opportunities to learn, grow, and volunteer. Help identify appropriate opportunities for volunteer service that enhances members’ experience.
• Conduct exit interviews of members when possible.
Programming and Event Coordination
• Work with volunteer leadership to create, implement, support and strategically utilize programming as an opportunity to strengthen and build connections among congregants and to deepen their engagement with Kol Ami.
• Working closely with Clergy and administrative staff, manages program calendaring and monitors resource allocation and programming schedule.
• Oversee event logistics for membership program events in coordination with others.
• Develop meaningful programming and engagement opportunities for cohorts with similar interests and/or demographics to connect and build relationships with one another.
• Continue development and expansion of the Jewish Lifelong Learning (JLL) program.
Communications and Marketing
• Work with the Marketing and Communications Manager to oversee all digital and print materials, including marketing, informational, and some donor communications; and website communication and social media sites and strategize on ways to increase engagement with Kol Ami.
• Work with Welcoming Committee and Executive Director to develop membership marketing and promotional materials.
Skills & Qualifications:
A successful Director will possess strong interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills, understand synagogue culture well, and have highly developed capacity to innovate and improve overall operations. They will demonstrate:
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and ability skills to relate effectively with Clergy, staff, lay leadership, volunteers, and all members of the congregation;
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple ongoing and developing tasks while following through on short- and long-term responsibilities;
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with maturity, discretion, diplomacy, and professionalism;
• Empathy and understanding when interacting with congregants and ensure that they feel valued for their ideas, passions and skills;
• Thrives in a team environment, but is a self-starter who thinks strategically and can produce and implement detail-oriented plans;
• Technology proficiency with databases and spreadsheets, Microsoft Office email and calendaring, and experience with various social media platforms.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Knowledge of Reform Judaism a plus.
The salary for this position is $49,920. A comprehensive benefits package is also available.
For more information, or to apply, please contact [email protected].
Kol Ami is an equal employment opportunity employer. This policy ensures our policies and practices are administered without discrimination regarding race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression), age, national origin, citizenship, disability, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by law. Kol Ami does not consider the religion or religious affiliation of applicants and employees in making personnel decisions unless the religious activities of the particular job assignment require that the employee be a member of the Jewish faith. We provide reasonable accommodation for the known disabilities of employees