Senior USY Advisor
Reports to Director of Jewish Learning/”DJL”
Beth El’s Jewish Experiential Learning Department is looking for a Senior USY Advisor! This engaging team member will work with teens across all of our youth programs (Youth groups, Thursday Night Teens and Viterbi Torah School (VTS) Madrichim) offered for all ages from Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
About Beth El
Congregation Beth El is a Conservative synagogue whose mission is to create a home for every soul by offering a variety of Jewish experiences to nourish the mind, heart, and spirit, while being a caring Jewish community.
Jewish Experiential Learning at Beth El strives to provide an environment where our students grow to experience an authentic Jewish community that is relevant, personal and inspiring.
Through school-wide experiences like singing, prayer, games and activities, as well as grade-level Judaic, Hebrew and prayer instruction, we engage Viterbi Torah School (VTS) students (K-7) in dynamic and multi-modal learning. We take advantage of Beth El’s beautiful and expansive campus to allow students move and learn outside both to connect with the natural world and to practice safe distancing and snack habits while at VTS.
At Thursday Night Teens (TNT) our 8th-12th graders develop the skills needed to navigate our changing world as informed by Jewish thought. They gain an opportunity to engage in more mature learning about current events and contemporary Jewish life. Teens are engaged in leadership training through which they plan programs and social activities for their peers.
Our approach to developing inquisitive, skilled and engaged young Jewish people pays special attention to the social-emotional well being of each student, so that all can benefit from a safe and connected learning community.
- Relatability to kids of all ages
- Judgment and ability to ensure a broad view of physical and emotional safety
- Familiarity with Jewish ritual practice
- Lesson planning and teaching
- Basic Jewish education and/or familiarity with Conservative Jewish calendar, observance and practices
- Enthusiasm about Jewish communal practice and knowledge of prayers and songs in order to encourage and model for kids and teens
Plan and staff youth group events for all age groups
- Reservations/tickets as needed
- Publicity – website, insta squares, VTS emails, etc
- Post to website as far in advance as possible, even if many details are TBD
- Work with JEL Office Manager ensuring that the following are completed:
- Space reservations
- Event setups
- Scheduling security and maintenance as needed
- Arrange additional staffing for events in concert with the DJL
Represent Beth El youth staff in lieu of DJL as needed at regional meetings
Coordinate Teen-Led Programming
- Mentoring on content and write-ups
- Manage timeline for publicity
- Relay space and setup needs when different from weekly teen program
Coordinate Madrichim Program
- Communication with Madrichim
- Supervise and manage task lists and assignments
- Relay feedback and needs between Madrichim and DJL/teaching staff
Additional JEL department duties and general program support to VTS/TNT/USY as assigned