About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
The Staff Accountant is an integral member of a segment of the Accounting Department responsible for financial reporting.
Provide support in both the monthly and year-end financial closing processes, ensuring all financial information is appropriately and accurately recorded in the accounting system. Support process improvement and system enhancement efforts to improve upon current procedures. Leverage existing systems and tools to streamline processes, enhance controls, and improve the quality and accuracy of financial data. The position requires utilization of Abila MIP Fund Accounting system. Specific duties include:
Quantitative, Standard Accounting Functions:
· Assist accounting colleagues in various aspects of the financial reporting process
· Perform cash analysis and monthly bank reconciliations
· Reconciliation of monthly oil and gas operations revenue and expenses
· Prepare recurring and adjusting journal entries
· Prepare monthly and quarterly balance sheet general ledger account reconciliations for accrued expenses, deferred revenues, State of Israel bonds, prepaid expenses, and miscellaneous receivables
· Assist with year-end closing and support the annual audit process for UJA-Federation and the UJA-Federation Retirement Plan
· Help monitor and reconcile agency employee contribution receivables for the UJA-Federation Retirement Plan
· Prepare quarterly investment reconciliation and internal financial statements for a related entity
· Perform ad hoc analyses and participate in projects as needed
Qualitative, Project Oriented Tasks (including):
· Possess a high degree of integrity and exceptional analytical and quantitative skills
· Act as an outstanding solution driven problem solver who demonstrates flexibility and timely responsiveness to changing priorities
· Work on several projects simultaneously and thrive in a deadline-based environment
Educational Level/Experience/Special Skills/Competencies:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
· Minimum 2-3 years of related work experience
· Advanced computer (Microsoft Excel/Word) and analytical skills
· Experience using Abila MIP or similar accounting system
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
How to Apply:
Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement:
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.