Congregation Netivot Shalom (CNS) seeks a Youth and Family Programming Coordinator to serve and expand our vibrant youth and family community within our egalitarian Conservative/Masorti congregation in Berkeley, California.
Our Youth and Family Programming Coordinator will offer nurturing and engaging formal and informal learning opportunities, build strong relationships within our community, and help make Netivot Shalom a vibrant spiritual home for families and youth from birth through high school.
- Work collaboratively with the rabbi and the Youth Education Committee, made up of parents and lay leaders, to design and implement programs for youth and families
- Create, implement, and grow Jewish educational and community-building experiences for CNS youth and their families, including Amitim (our B’nei Mitzvah program), Shabbat and holiday youth programming, teen programming and youth groups, and programs for families with children 0-5
- Communicate with and recruit members and potential members
- Help create and oversee the budget for youth and family programs, in collaboration with our Executive Director
- Develop and coordinate youth and family programs.
- In partnership with the rabbi and teachers, design engaging program content for various age groups and programmatic settings.
- Handle administration of programs, including: managing online registrations, purchasing supplies, publicizing events, and maintaining payroll for staff.
- Assist in the application for grants to fund new program ideas.
Staff Supervision and Collaboration:
- Recruit, hire, supervise, evaluate and support teachers and staff of youth and family programs.
- Recruit and support volunteers, including the Youth Education committee.
- Work collaboratively with other synagogue staff (Rabbi, Executive Director, Administrative staff, Preschool Director) to develop, implement, and publicize youth and family programs.
- Build warm and open relationships with families from diverse backgrounds.
- Create an inviting youth community environment for children and their families through social events and other community-building opportunities.
- Build intergenerational connections between families with children and other members of the community.
- Communicate effectively with families, staff, board, and the wider community, through synagogue newsletters, social media, and internal communications.
- Encourage and facilitate positive relationships between youth and family program stakeholders and the greater Congregation Netivot Shalom community.
- Identify and build partnerships with other youth and family programs in the wider community.
The successful candidate:
You are a creative Jewish educator, program coordinator and/or community-builder
- A minimum of 2-3 years in Jewish youth programming (e.g. youth groups, Jewish camp, religious school, formal or informal Jewish education)
- Knowledge of synagogue life, Jewish practice and holidays, and a familiarity and comfort with Jewish texts and tradition
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to take initiative, prioritize and manage time and staff
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to think strategically and creatively
- Experience managing a budget and administering payroll (or willingness to learn)
- Some proficiency in Hebrew
- Experience working with parents and volunteers
- A willingness to work some evenings and occasional Sundays
- A willingness to work on most Shabbat mornings
- A willingness to work on the High Holidays and on most Jewish holidays
- The ability to connect with children and families
- Comfort and joy in a Conservative, egalitarian community
Salary: $60,000-$75,000, Full-Time Exempt
Benefits: 3 weeks vacation and paid holidays; health, disability and life insurance
Start Date: May 15, 2023
Supervisor: Rabbi Chai Levy
Congregation Netivot Shalom is an equal opportunity employer.
Netivot Shalom began in 1989 and grew out of our founding members’ collective commitment to create an egalitarian spiritual home for Conservative/Masorti Jews. Netivot Shalom is based in Berkeley, California. This participatory egalitarian community is defined by the values of: 1) connectedness; 2) learning; 3) justice; and 4) Jewish ritual. Netivot Shalom welcomes members who are Jewish and not, Jews-by-choice, interfaith families, multiracial, multicultural, married, single, families and individuals, LGBTQ, straight, old, and young. We explicitly recognize and cherish each other as teachers and students. For more information, please visit our website www.netivotshalom.org
Interested candidates: please send a cover letter and resume to Rabbi Chai Levy at [email protected] with the subject line “Candidate for Youth and Family Programming Coordinator”