Hillel at FIU (Miami, FL)
Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Hillel at Florida International University as the Assistant Director. You will drive Hillel forward by thinking big and implementing with excellence on a day-to-day basis. As you lead people and programs you’ll help all 3,500 Jewish students on campus connect to Jewish life, learning and Israel. With a steady increase in students living on-campus and strong local student population, Hillel at FIU’s robust programming has put it at the forefront of student life at FIU. We are growing rapidly and it is an exciting time to join our team.
What You’ll Do
- You are the architect to design and execute an engagement strategy to connect more than 70% of Jewish students at Hillel at FIU to Hillel’s mission
- In partnership with the Executive Director, craft and implement a strategic plan for programming pluralistic Jewish education, leadership training and Israel education to the masses
- Grow a student leadership structure to support robust program activities, Shabbat, holiday celebrations, and meaningful Jewish experiences
- Supervise, manage, mentor and support the growth of two engagement staff members
- Create and maintain strategic partnerships with the University community, including Student Affairs and Admissions, our faculty committee, parents, alumni, and lay leaders
- Oversee all program-based grants and programs related to those grants
On a day to day basis you will
- Oversee the program budget, distribute funds, account for costs, and pursue grant opportunities
- Manage the engagement team and ensure their work is top notch and their goals are met
- Lead Shabbat and holiday programming, Jewish learning fellowships, and university-wide programming like Holocaust and Genocide Awareness Week and Israel Week.
- Be a thought partner with Executive Director and campus partners. Build meaningful relationships with key university staff and faculty that yield productive partnerships.
- Support the Executive Director in core fundraising activities, including donor relations, strategic fundraising conversations, special events and student Development Committee efforts.
- Oversee the collection of our engagement data in partnership with Hillel International.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 3-5+ years in Jewish, experiential or higher education
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proven success in…
- Managing a team. Excellent supervision skills and ability to coach others to achieve outcomes
- Creating structures and opportunities that assist and empower students to take initiative and ownership for their communities.
- Building relationships with leaders within education or the nonprofit space.
- Developing and/or implementing a strategic plan, including reporting and tracking data
- Management of multiple projects while maintaining quality.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Knowledge of what makes people tick - you can connect people’s passions and interests to Hillel’s mission
- Comfort in managing teams as well as working independently and collaboratively
- An entrepreneurial spirit - things may not always go according to plan, but you understand that ambiguity is part of developing great new opportunities
- Strong written and verbal skills, effective at communicating with a variety of stakeholders including students, parents, alumnae/i, and university partners
- A commitment to pluralism and comfort with your Jewish identity so you may act as a role model and mentor for emerging Jewish adults
- Owning your unique Jewish knowledge and experiences and inspiring others to be on a Jewish journey
- An eye for social media and digital marketing
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary for this role is $70,000
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurances, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
About Hillel at Florida International University in Miami, FL
Hillel at FIU is home to 3,500 Jewish students, most of whom live in South Florida and stay here after graduation. We are a relatively new Hillel, on the rise, at a large state university that has grown exponentially in both academics and student life in the past decade. We are a diverse, passionate group of students situated in the greatest city in the world, with an incredibly strong Jewish community.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at FIU is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.