Learning Specialist/Special Education Teacher
Solomon Schechter Day School of Bergen County is a warm, inclusive Jewish Day School that educates children from Early Childhood through Eighth Grade with a vigorous dual curriculum in General and Judaic studies. We inspire our students to be engaged, independent learners who embrace Jewish values and practices and strive with confidence and compassion to better the world.
We are seeking a highly qualified, passionate, General Studies Learning Specialist (special education teacher) to work in collaboration with a dynamic team of teachers for the 2023-2024 school year. The Learning Specialist will create and implement innovative instructional experiences for students who have been identified as needing academic support. Candidate will be a role model who can help foster our students’ personal and academic growth, implement a variety of instructional strategies, and who has familiarity with the latest educational models to enhance student learning for the 21st century. We are specifically seeking a teacher with an expertise in multi-sensory approaches to teaching reading and/or mathematics.
The idea candidate:
- Has a Master’s level or high degree in Special Education, Math Education, Childhood Education and/or Literacy
- Has at least 3 years of experience as a classroom teacher, learning specialist/interventionist, and or special education teacher
- A deep understanding of effective literacy and mathematics instruction
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An understanding of child development and how social emotional factors impact learning
The Learning Specialist will:
- Provide individualized and small group instruction in order for all students to have access to the grade level curriculum
- Support the implementation of Illustrative Mathematics in grades 1-4
- Partner with classroom teachers to create plans of support for identified students
- Challenge students to become active independent learners and encourage each child's curiosity and creativity.
- Foster respect for others, a commitment to values, and tikkun olam (repairing the world)
- Engage in a cycle of assessment to instruction by planning for formative assessments that provide students with multiple options for demonstrating their learning
- Maintain accurate and consistent records of evidence of students learning
- Communicate regularly with parents through conferences, email, and phone calls to discuss students' progress, sharing successes and working in partnership to enhance student development.
- Engage with the Director of Student Learning and the Student Learning Team to continuously learn and grow as a practitioner
Candidates should send a resume, cover letter and references to [email protected] with Learning Specialist Position in the subject line. No phone calls, please.