From its humble beginnings in 1964, in an apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, Lincoln Square Synagogue (LSS) has grown into an institution that has been a model for Modern Orthodox Judaism. Over the years the synagogue has developed into a diverse and vibrant Modern Orthodox Congregation that provides religious, social, and educational services and outreach to the unique Jewish community of the Upper West Side of New York. The synagogue strives to be a model in the integration of Halachic Judaism and contemporary life to the broader Jewish community.
The synagogue runs an array of programs which touch on nearly every area of spiritual and personal growth including youth & teen groups, a film club, young professionals’ events and adult education programming. During the week, there are a variety of classes, which are open to all who wish to come and learn. On any given Shabbat, LSS provides a variety of options for prayer services and widely attended shabbat and weekend events.
The Program Development & Operations Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director, Clergy, and volunteers to help coordinate and plan events, post and design materials for marketing and social media, and manage the daily operations of the Synagogue. A successful candidate must be customer service oriented who can work well with a team. They must prioritize work in a fast paced environment so that all deadlines are met on time and with ease. They must represent the synagogue in a professional manner with a wide range of people including the Board, synagogue members, volunteers, caterers, and renters. They must be able to create a secure, welcoming synagogue environment in which congregants feel their religious, social & communal needs are addressed in a positive manner.
- New and Existing Projects: responsibilities related to important congregational projects including High Holidays, Annual Dinners, weeknight programs, and community meals. Bring new events to the forefront and follow through on implementation of ideas.
- Work on marketing materials for events and ensure they are well advertised
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Clergy to set the agenda for creating, developing, and implementing impactful, high-quality programs, events, and content
- Ensure seamless coordination of program logistics and participant experiences to deliver exceptional outcomes.
- Drive recruitment efforts and implement strategies to increase member participation, fostering a vibrant Jewish community
- Manage our High Holiday Registration & Seating Arrangements: This task has the support of member volunteers but the responsibility lies in this position. Signing people up, assigning seating, updating our system with changes etc. (2-3 month process)
- Social Media & Marketing: Update our media platforms with new and exciting promotion of materials. Be able to design flyers, emails, and social media posts with a strong eye for detail and aesthetics. Ensure the promotion of these events.
- Support the coordination and implementation of communications and marketing efforts, including social media platforms, website content, and email marketing, to sustain high visibility for all programs and initiatives
- Craft engaging stories, creating promotional materials, and leveraging digital platforms to effectively reach and engage target audiences.
- Customer Service: Support the Administrative Assistant in managing the “front desk”. Answering calls etc.
- Membership: Database management for Shul Membership Directory & membership profiles.
- Calendar Management
- Letter Writing
A successful candidate should have the following skills and qualities:
- Understanding of Jewish rituals, life cycle events, holidays & customs
- Knowledge of Hebrew language preferred
- Knowledge of MS Office, database management, email marketing, and website development tools
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Design: have design skills, ability to edit and design promotional material
- Strong customer service orientation
- Team player
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and project management skills
- Experienced and enthusiastic about managing various aspects of ongoing programs.
- A creative and innovative thinker, always coming up with fresh ideas.
- Enjoy interactions with people and knowing when to be accommodating or take charge.
- Master of implementation and follow-through, ensuring that ideas become reality.
- Calm and composed demeanor, even in challenging situations.
We welcome your application. Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Duration: Full Time
Preferred Experience: 2+ years
Preferred Degree: Bachelors
Other benefits: health benefits, paid vacation, leave early for Shabbat and Chagim, Jewish holidays off
Office hours: 9:00am-5:00pm Fridays: 9:00am-1:00pm
This role may require working extended evening hours during such busy seasons as the High Holy Days, leading up to the annual synagogue dinner, and other holiday periods.