Established in 1948 as Israel’s national hospital, Sheba Medical Center is now an internationally recognized healthcare facility and the largest medical center in the Middle East. Three years in a row, Newsweek magazine ranked Sheba on its prestigious list of the top ten medical centers worldwide. Every year, Sheba’s 10,000 medical professionals deliver 11,000 babies, perform 50,000 surgeries, treat over 50,000 cancer patients, train IDF medical personnel and touch almost 1 in 5 Israelis. Sheba is a leader in Israel’s international medical humanitarian work, in treating injured IDF soldiers, and has a medical technology incubator, the ARC Innovation Center, which is a major driver of health tech innovation in Israel and globally. In the1970s, two American 501(c)3 organizations were formed to raise money to support the Medical Center. In January 2021, the two merged into the national American Friends of Sheba Medical Center. Sheba is central to Israel’s healthcare system and a major goal is to expand awareness of this in the US and grow financial support. The newly merged American organization has the opportunity to help expand Sheba’s amazing work and human impact by engaging new major donors and foundation partners.
Title: Western Regional Development Director
Reports to: AFSMC CDO
Location: Los Angeles
The Regional Development Director is a key implementer of American Friends of Sheba Medical Center resource development in Los Angeles and the entire nine state Western Region. This includes annual campaign solicitation, foundation proposals, donor stewardship and development. In collaboration with regional colleagues and national staff, the Regional Development Director will design and execute a comprehensive and diversified fundraising plan which includes major gifts, affinity group campaigns, capital and planned giving. The region currently raises $3.9M annually, however the potential is far greater. The ideal candidate should have the excellent interpersonal and communication skills necessary to build strong and trusted relationships with staff, donors, and board members.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Growing the overall AFSMC campaign in the Western Region.
- Identifying, engaging, and cultivating new major donors and foundation partners.
- Collaborating on and executing the annual development plan, ensuring the Region meets its annual revenue goals.
- Ensuring the solicitation, stewardship, and engagement of major donors.
- Tracking donor history and engagement and stewarding donors to increase commitment and involvement.
- Ensuring there is timely, accurate communication and engagement with donors and foundations.
- Overseeing data entry and financial reporting for timeliness and accuracy.
Other duties and special projects may be assigned by CDO with dotted line responsibility to the Regional Director.
Bachelor’s degree required, with preference given to professionals with advanced education in philanthropy or related areas. A minimum of 5 years of experience in financial resource development, including donor development and major gift solicitation. Equivalent experience in sales, business development or related work will also be considered.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and donor stewardship skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on a professional team, with particular emphasis on resource development or sales.
- Experience and demonstrated success in systematic, tracked, and measured donor relationship management.
- Knowledge of the Jewish community and related Israel-focused organizations, as well as Israel-focused philanthropists in the region.
- Preference will be given to candidates with deep knowledge of Israel and the Jewish community in the United States.
- Familiarity with Israel, as well as medical or hospital-related fundraising is a plus.
- Some travel as needed to any regional or national events and meetings, as well as development work in other cities in the region.
- Public speaking skills a plus.
American Friends of Sheba Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFSMC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by relevant law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.