This is a temporary position.
To create a flexible elementary grade program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; to establish effective rapport with students; to motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for lower elementary grade education in accordance with each student’s ability; to establish good relationships with parents and other staff members; to assist in school programs subject to the SSDS Mission which states:
“At Solomon Schechter Day School of Metropolitan Chicago, we ignite our students’ Jewish souls, educate them to their highest potential, and empower them to use their knowledge, skills, and creativity to enrich our world. “
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Assesses English proficiency of incoming students to determine EL eligibility.
- Delivers direct instruction to students who have been identified as English Learners. Addresses all aspects of communication through appropriate instruction that develops each student’s ability to read, write, speak and listen.
- Administers standardized tests. Administer academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress for meeting academic learning targets and progress in language acquisition.
- Maintains records and progress monitoring reports.
- Serves as case manager for EL students.
- Provides leadership within the school with respect to the academic, social and emotional needs of English learners.
- Consults and collaborates with classroom teachers to scaffold lessons, assignments and assessments as appropriate for individual students.
- Models lessons to provide classroom teacher additional capacity to support English learners.
- Collaborates with classroom teachers to monitor the progress of EL students and offer suggestions for intervention to meet students’ linguistic and academic needs.
- Work with Director of Student Support Services to ensure effective and efficient integrations of EL and regular education resources in efforts to support EL learners.
- Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in separate setting or in a co-taught classroom in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Uses a variety of instructional strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Evaluates students’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss students’ progress and interpret the school program.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students remediate health, attitude, and learning concerns.
- Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service and professional growth activities.
- Collaborates with grade-level colleagues about curriculum and educational programming.
- Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids; maintains required inventory records.
- Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the school day.
- Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Demonstrates a commitment to best practice in all dimensions of effective teaching as defined by the Thoughtful Classroom framework, including: Organization, rules and routines; positive relationships; engagement and enjoyment; a culture of thinking and learning; preparing students for new learning; presenting new learning; deepening and reinforcing learning; applying learning; and reflecting on and celebrating learning.
Schechter is a great place to work! Come join us!