Congregation Beth Shalom is a thriving egalitarian Conservative synagogue located in the heart of Pittsburgh’s Squirrel Hill. We are currently seeking an engaging and dynamic professional to serve as our Derekh Coordinator. Derekh is the targeted programming arm and the center for adult engagement in our congregation. The Coordinator will work with synagogue leadership, including clergy, staff, and lay leaders, to plan and implement community building, educational, and socially conscious programming. The Coordinator will be a key member of the senior staff and report to the Executive Director, with guidance and support from the Senior Rabbi and President.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Coordinator will manage Derekh, Beth Shalom’s center for adult education, community, and innovation. This includes, but is not limited to, developing, organizing, implementing, and experimenting with programs in consultation with the appropriate volunteer committees, including the Derekh Leadership Team, Chesed Committee, and Racial Justice Task Force.
Derekh seeks to broaden the reach of our synagogue by engaging underserved and
marginalized communities as well as our core membership. Derekh programs range from a concert for two hundred, to a community Civil Rights tour to the South, to an intimate Torah study group. The intent is to provide a range of programming in these areas over the course of a year, targeted at different demographics within the congregation, and also appealing to those who are not yet members and the broader Pittsburgh community.
The Coordinator will develop programs and new learning and engagement opportunities. To accomplish the ambitious aims of this position, the Coordinator will draw on an existing pool of motivated volunteers, engage with synagogue staff and lay leaders as well as building new teams at the synagogue. This position will serve as a coordination touchpoint and a key connector between lay leaders and other synagogue staff. The Coordinator will also have a lead role in promoting Derekh initiatives and interfacing with the committees of the Board of Trustees as well as external community groups.
The ideal Coordinator will be comfortable communicating across multiple modes and platforms, including social media, and will have familiarity with collaboration tools and cloud data platforms to work effectively with synagogue staff and lay leaders. The Coordinator will be able to gather and use data to effectively target synagogue programming and better understand and serve Derekh’s audience.
Qualifications and Experience
- Able to multitask and work independently, setting programmatic goals and meeting them.
- Ability to motivate volunteers and grow a volunteer community.
- Demonstrated experience in formal or experiential Jewish education (e.g. teaching, tutoring, summer camp, youth groups) as well as demonstrated synagogue skills.
- Computer skills: proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) is required. Familiarity with Publisher, Chaverware, DavkaWriter is a plus.
- Enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Project a professional and welcoming image of the organization at all times.
- High level of personal integrity.
- Highly motivated and flexible by nature.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, listening and writing).
- Maintain social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Night and weekend hours may be required as programming dictates.
- Federal and state criminal clearances are required.
- A background in Conservative Judaism and Conservative tefillah would be a plus but not a requirement.
This job description is intended to be a general description of the duties of that position, and should not be taken exclusively detailing each and every responsibility encompassed within those duties. The job description is subject to modification with the approval of the Senior Rabbi, the Executive Director, and the President.
This is a part-time position for a non-profit organization. With the right candidate this position has the potential to grow beyond part-time in future years, however, depending on fundraising and resource availability.