Founded in 1854 Congregation Beth Israel is a vibrant and diverse Jewish community in Houston, Texas. The oldest congregation in the state with a rich history and legacy, it is one of the largest Reform Congregations in the country with more than 1500 family units. Home to The Shlenker School, one of the nation’s premier Reform Jewish day schools, as well as the Miriam Browning Jewish Learning Center, a multi-faceted and engaging religious school, we are a welcoming and inclusive congregation that shares a commitment to Jewish life and learning for families, singles, Jews-by-choice, mixed faith families, LGBTQ individuals, and people of all ages.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for managing and shaping all aspects of communication, marketing, and social media for the organization. Reporting to the Director of Lifelong Learning and Engagement, this role will work closely with the Senior Rabbi and collaborate with the other senior staff to provide excellent communications and marketing support as needed. The primary goal of this role is to enhance engagement within our existing membership and promote our congregational, events, and programming across all communication channels.
The ideal candidate is a well-rounded expert in both internal and external communications, graphics, and marketing. He or she should have a deep appreciation for the nuances of working within a synagogue environment, coupled with the ability to lead and collaborate effectively. The preferred candidate should be proactive, driven, creative, and capable of driving change, all while meeting deadlines.
- Responsible for design, editing and production of all communications, fliers, and other publicity for regular distribution to the congregation and community
- Review, strengthen and maintain internal communication processes and branding standards
- Work with Clergy and staff to develop marketing initiatives to ensure overall mission and vision are reflected with consistent messaging
- Liaise with department heads and clergy regarding marketing and graphic design needs
- Design, coordinate content, edit and produce quarterly bulletin
- Plan and manage a social media strategy (including Facebook, Instagram, etc.) designed to support membership recruitment and retention, all programs, school enrollment and increase engagement
- Responsible for regular publishing of articles in local newspapers and other media to market upcoming and past events
- Oversee design, publication, and delivery of all High Holy Day materials
- Manage and continuously update the website and event calendars
- Attend major events and programs for publicity and support purposes
- Remain abreast of current marketing trends and tools
- Accumulate marketing data, including open rates and program attendance for ROI statistics
- Articulate with excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe suite, MS suite, Word Press, Canva, other design and layout programs and social media tools
- Copywriting, editing, newsletter, website, and graphic design experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills coupled with high emotional intelligence
- Creative with razor sharp attention to detail
- Self-directed, professional, and resourceful style, the ability to work independently and as a team player, take initiative, and manage numerous tasks and projects
- Organized with the ability to manage multiple constituencies and set priorities
- Must embrace the mission of the Congregation and understand and respect the practices of Reform Judaism