Beth El Phoenix is seeking an innovative, engaging, and inspirational Cantor or Cantorial Soloist for a fully egalitarian and inclusive congregation with over 270 member families. Beth El is a warm, welcoming, and multi-generational community, dedicated to cultivating, nurturing, and enhancing love for Judaism and Jewish living in harmony with the ideals of the Conservative movement. Within a supportive community, we strive to foster meaningful worship experience, a sense of being connected to God, and Tikkun Olam.
Our Cantor will act as a partner with Rabbi Stein Kokin by creating opportunities to educate and empower members of the congregation to actively participate in Shabbat and holiday prayer services. The right candidate will enhance our innovative, musical services and programs to provide ruach and increase the congregation's participation and knowledge of sacred music.
- Lead the congregation in traditional and innovative Shabbat and festival prayer
- Foster an engaging, spiritual, and participatory experience
- In the Rabbi’s absence, serve as clerical leader of the synagogue
- High Holy Days preparation and hazzan duties
- Lead musical Hebrew education and tefillah skills (in collaboration with Rabbi and
Education Director) in religious school
- B'nai Mitzvah tutoring and preparation
- Knowledge of traditional Jewish prayer service and Nussach
- Ability to read Torah and chant Haftara, Megillot
- Natural collaborator and community builder
- Self-starting, responsible worker
- Experience and comfort connecting with diverse and multi-age populations
- Strong sense of Jewish values and social justice ethics
- Ability to be flexible and resourceful with work schedule and work setting
Part time work hours adapt to the schedule and workload of the synagogue. Set schedule hours include Shabbat and holiday services, religious school responsibilities, and b’nai mitzvah tutoring sessions.
- Salary range is $30,000 – $35,000 depending on experience and smicha
- 50% paid by Beth El: health, supplemental gap coverage, dental, vision
- Optional Benefits (paid by employee): life insurance, ID theft, Legal Shield
- Family synagogue membership
- Complimentary preschool tuition
- Complimentary religious school tuition
How to Apply
Review of applications will be ongoing until filled.
Please forward a cover letter, resume and sample recording to: [email protected]