Who You Are:
You are eager to take a small community organization and help us grow from good to great. You know how to connect with Jews of all backgrounds, practices, and expressions of faith. You are a skilled administrator with 5+ years experience in nonprofit management (and/or have certification or a Masters Degree in such). You are skilled at database management, CRM programs, and communication. You thrive on building relationships to further fundraising goals.
Who We Are:
Mikveh Bess Israel was founded by European immigrants in 1852 as part of their effort to develop permanent Jewish roots in the Hartford Area. A century later, Holocaust survivors saw in the mikveh a source of renewal in their adopted home. Their generation incorporated the mikveh as a nonprofit organization. Although the mikveh has relocated a number of times since its inception, each transition has furthered the mission of the mikveh to provide the Jewish community with a safe and sacred space for cleansing and purification. The Greater Hartford community mikveh remains the source of enduring Jewish life today. The obligation of building a mikveh has been recognized as essential for many centuries. Mikveh Bess Israel is an Orthodox organization that serves the entire spectrum of the Jewish community. We celebrated a rededication in the Spring of 2014. We reincorporated and revised our by-laws in 2021, preparing for a strong future with up-to-date governance. With a distinguished history of 170 years, we are ready for the challenges of the future.
Benchmarks for Success: We believe that success is an organization that has a strategic plan for a new facility (likely 5 years from now) and a fundraising campaign that leads toward sustainability. Seed funding for this position comes from the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford.
- Develop a strategic fundraising plan, including reaching a more diversified donor base, applying for grant opportunities, and soliciting legacy gifts
- Build institutional and individual relationships to increase awareness of mikveh within the Greater Hartford community
Manage Daily Operations of Mikveh
- Oversee facility maintenance, manage operational finances, and support shomeret
- Support, grow, and engage our board, working closely with our president and committee members
- Long-term objective: lay the foundation for the development of a new modern mikveh facility that will serve the Greater Hartford Jewish community for generations to come
The Fine Print:
15 hours/week - flexible schedule; some evenings required for meetings and community events
Remote, Northeast preferred
Familiarity with mikveh (or willing to learn)
Frequently cited statistics show that women and under-represented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Mikveh Bess Israel encourages you to break that statistic and apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
Please send a resume and cover letter to mikveh president, Shira Eliassian, [email protected]