Full-time, remote; position available immediately
Salary range: $50,000-$60,000
About Mayyim Hayyim
Mayyim Hayyim Living Waters Community Mikveh and Paula Brody & Family Education Center is a vibrant center for spirituality and learning at the forefront of Jewish ritual innovation and pluralism. We’re making the ancient Jewish practice of mikveh (ritual immersion) more open and accessible to the full spectrum of the contemporary Jewish community. In addition to operating a community mikveh in Boston, we’re bringing engaging, experiential educational programs to individuals and organizations across the country, and building the burgeoning field of Open Mikveh by supporting mikveh projects around the world.
About the role
A new position, the Communications Manager will be critical to the success of Mayyim Hayyim’s strategic plan, which re-positions Mayyim Hayyim on a national scale and seeks to broaden our already deep impact. They will develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy that amplifies our work to new and existing audiences and helps grow our participants, volunteers, members, and funders. Being successful in this role means elevating current efforts to become an extension of our education center and serve as a community engagement tool, and seeking out opportunities for our staff to become thought leaders.
You’re a go-getter who figures out on your own what work is needed. At the same time, you work well with others and know how to manage multiple people all having a stake in your projects. You’re creative, solutions-oriented, and a fantastic writer/editor. You love staying on top of social media trends. You’re at home with brand standards and basic graphic design or video editing. You’re detail-oriented and always find (and care about) the typo or misaligned line. You’re always thinking about what needs to be updated on our website. When a fellow staff member shares an inspirational client story on our team Slack, you’re already thinking about the best way to get that story out there. You feel comfortable working with, instructing, or editing staff members who may be senior to you. You seek out opportunities and aren’t afraid to try new tools, tactics, or make changes, and you turn “failure” into learning.
Mayyim Hayyim explicitly seeks to build a diverse staff and candidates from communities who have been marginalized are particularly encouraged to apply.
About your team
We’re currently hiring for 2 positions who will be joining a growing staff of 6. We work hard and set high expectations for ourselves, but we love to laugh with each other (sometimes we’re pretty irreverent) and bring our whole selves to work. We celebrate joyous occasions and take care of each other when times get tough. We care about making the Jewish world more accessible and inclusive.
You’ll report to the Chief Operations and Advancement Officer. With the administrative professional we’re also hiring, you’ll join our Operations team, while also working closely with our CEO and Programs team on strategic and programmatic communications. In the future, we hope our team continues to expand to include additional development and program staff. If you’re successful in your role, growth opportunities await.
About the process
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (PDF only) along with past samples (or a link to a portfolio) of marketing and/or social media work to [email protected]
We will accept applications on a rolling basis, although we will begin reviewing materials on 11/15/2021. Candidates who we are initially interested in will schedule a short, 15-20 minute phone screen the weeks of Nov. 29 & Dec. 6. Those who move on will schedule an hour-long Zoom interview the weeks of Dec. 13 & 20. Both will take place with the Chief Operations and Advancement Officer. Candidates will then have a final interview in late December or early January with senior staff and lay leaders and will be asked for references. Please note our hiring process is not necessarily linear; we may not contact you immediately but we commit to responding all candidates during the process.
Job Responsibilities may include:
• Creating and executing annual comprehensive communications strategy to help accomplish strategic priorities including. Work may include, but is not limited to:
o Leading monthly communications meetings focused on aligning communications with strategic and programmatic goals
o Email and social media marketing and engagement and producing social media graphics
o Writing and editing copy for marketing materials, press releases, and op-eds with or on behalf of other stakeholders
o Maintaining a communications/content calendar
o Creating collateral material such as graphics and videos
o Managing and liaising with any communications-related vendors/contractors
• Scaling Mayyim Hayyim's social media presence to develop channels as community engagement tools and educational platforms that support organizational and programmatic goals
• Working with all staff members to promote Mayyim Hayyim programming and fundraising efforts to new and existing audiences
• Maintaining and updating Mayyim Hayyim and related websites and blogs so that our web presence is informative, inspiring, and helps us achieve our strategic goals
• Ensuring communications are in keeping with our mission, values, and brand standards
• Working closely with the Chief Operations and Advancement Officer to ensure internal staff communications are timely, clear, and keep staff informed of key decisions
• Other tasks as needed
Essential skills/qualifications (must-haves):
• Demonstrated success in a communications-related role
• Experience with: online editing tools; social media; email marketing tools; CRMs/databases; website management
• Comfort with technology and the ability to learn new software/tools quickly
• Love for social media as a multi-faceted tool for connection, community, and learning
• Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information
• Passion for Mayyim Hayyim’s mission
Preferred skills/qualifications (nice-to-haves)
• 3-5 years’ experience in communications/marketing, especially at a non-profit
• Experience at an organization that underwent expansion or scaling
• Specific experience with: Mailchimp; Salesforce; FormAssembly; Canva; Wordpress
• Understanding of the North American Jewish community
The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $60,000, commensurate with experience.
• Health care plans for individuals, couples, and families
• Progressive vacation beginning with 2 weeks and up to 4 weeks by your fourth year on staff
• 4 personal days and 8 sick days, with the ability to roll over up to 5 unused sick days per year
• 7 federal/state holidays off, plus all Jewish holidays, flexible leave early for Shabbat policies
• Paid parental leave
• Fully covered short-term disability and life insurance
This position is available to Boston-based or remote applicants located in the United States. Mayyim Hayyim is not able to sponsor work visas at this time. If remote, the position will be expected to travel to Boston at times to participate in major organizational events and staff development retreats (assuming public health conditions allow). If an applicant is based in the Boston area, they will be considered part of the local staff and participate in our hybrid work model where local staff are currently working on-site at least one day per week (Thursdays). Staff offices are up 1-2 flights of stairs.
Mayyim Hayyim employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, with allowances for medical exemptions. Visit our website to learn about our current COVID-19 protocols.