Temple Beth-El, Jersey City
Director of Education
About Temple Beth-El
Temple Beth-El is a growing Reform congregation located in Jersey City, NJ, a proudly diverse and urban community located right across the river from Manhattan and accessible by PATH and other modes of public transportation. Our congregation is over 150 years old and our beautiful historic building is almost 100 years old. Our congregation has approximately 160 families and expects to grow in the coming years. We currently have approximately 60 K-7 children taking part in our Sunday morning (9.30a-12p) school program which runs from September until the end of May. We also have a growing Junior and Senior Youth Group that we plan to expand to include an educational component for High Schoolers. In addition to our diversity, we are known for our warm, down-to-earth approach.
The part-time Director of Education is the administrator of our weekly religious school (Sundays 9:30-12:30). In coordination with the Rabbi, the synagogue’s administrative staff, and lay leadership, the Director oversees the general administrative and educational operations of the religious school, Tot Shabbat and supplemental programs for youth and families. The Director will build upon our current curriculum, coordinate student assessments; prepare, manage and maintain a budget, supervise and mentor school and youth staff and educators; manage communications with families; work with the Rabbi to establish educational programs for Religious School families; and work to integrate Religious School families into congregational life.
Curriculum Development and Staff Development:
- Improve, organize and implement an integrated Reform Jewish school curriculum for all ages (pre-K- grade 7), including family tefillah (with Rabbi and Cantor), and develop a curriculum for children with special needs.
- Develop special programs including, but not limited to, holiday observance for all grades, and yearly school educational trips. Coordinate with Rabbi where appropriate.
- Review teacher’s lesson plans, provide performance reviews and conduct periodic class observations.
- Generate parent and student involvement in school activities and programs including engaging class parents.
- Coordinate twice yearly student progress reports for parents, to be prepared by teaching staff.
- Implement and support school policies, including a school discipline policy, in coordination with the Rabbi, synagogue administrative staff, and lay leadership.
- Teach in the school, as prudent or needed.
- Work with administrative, education, volunteer and religious staff to implement special programming including, but not limited to:
- (7) Grade-Led Friday Shabbat services with accompanying community dinner
- Simchat Torah/Consecration
- In-school holiday celebrations
- Shavuot picnic
- In-school family education days
- Develop and implement a post-B’nai Mitzvah Program.
- Work with Cantor to develop and enhance music into the curriculum.
- Conduct staff orientations and monthly staff meetings.
- Organize family education days with staff.
Administrative Responsibilities (can be done remotely where appropriate):
- Assist with budget proposals, and manage and maintain an existing budget.
- Report families in arrears to Temple leadership monthly.
- Maintain and develop roster of teachers and substitute teachers.
- Maintain student database and rosters of current and former students including weekly attendance records.
- Maintain materials and database for school registration, tuition and enrollment.
- Work in consultation with Security Subcommittee of the Facilities committee to develop emergency and safety protocols for students, parents and staff. Implement said protocols. Our Education Director will participate in or will have participated in safety trainings and will keep her/his knowledge current.
- Prepare and present reports at monthly meetings of the Youth Education Committee.
- Track monthly staff payroll hours to give to Temple Financial Secretary.
- Order and organize books, workbooks, supplies and materials to support curriculum.
- Order b’nai mitzvah gifts (bulk order).
- Coordinate the B’nai Mitzvah children’s profiles in our newsletter.
- Update B’nai Mitzvah log with roster information of our school’s children.
- (Covid and weather emergencies only) Coordinate Zoom rooms, communication and scheduling for when virtual school or family services are warranted and decided by leadership.
- Work in partnership with Rabbi, staff, lay leaders and volunteers to:
- Communicate regularly with parents and congregation via email, Constant Contact, phone and mail.
- Provide updates to our website for school-related events and families.
- Maintain our Temple calendar for school-related events, in conjunction with clergy and lay leadership.
- Help to identify potential congregational volunteers and class parents
- Support/advertise Monthly Parent Project Days and Junior Youth Group and Youth Group, weekly Junior Choir and other family activities.
- Support Youth Group Director and interface with leadership on her/his behalf and on behalf of the Youth Group.
- Solicit and assist class parents.
Position is available immediately. Salary is $20k yearly prorated from July 1.
Please send resume and cover letter to Karen Seemen Pinn at [email protected]
This position may be combined with cantorial responsibilities for a candidate with appropriate skills or background for the following position: