Director of Outreach and Engagement, United Jewish Federation of Greater Stamford, New Canaan, and Darien
Are you looking for a meaningful opportunity to make a difference in the Fairfield County Jewish community, with opportunity for growth? Do you have a passion for outreach, building community, and helping people connect and feel a part of something greater than themselves? Do you want to play a critical role in touching lives and helping people in need while also having fun in a quick-paced, high-energy environment?
If so, this full-time position is a very special opportunity to work with an organization that makes a difference in the lives of so many.
United Jewish Federation invites you to apply for its Director of Outreach and Engagement position. You will convene and connect people to Jewish life and community, working to build an inclusive and vibrant community of belonging.
United Jewish Federation is committed to creating a continuum of high-quality experiences and a vibrant menu of touchpoints rooted in relationship-based engagement.
The Director of Outreach and Engagement, under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, is responsible for supporting the organization’s efforts to engage with Jewish people and institutions across the full diversity of the Greater Stamford, New Canaan, and Darien area.
Key responsibilities will include relationship building and problem solving, programmatic support, content and resource development, research, and volunteer stewardship.
This is a great opportunity for someone who:
- Is organized, analytical and detail oriented.
- Can network effectively and is a people connector.
- Is a self-starter, takes initiative and is motivated to see projects come to fruition.
- Knows how to make an event an experience.
- Is a great storyteller and enjoys writing.
- Enjoys working with volunteers.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Has a passion for people and a gift for nurturing relationships, engaging with people one-on-one and has a knack for making friends easily.
- Has an ability to be flexible and adaptable to changes and shifting priorities.
- Is excited to take on new challenges, using existing and developing skills and experience to benefit a meaningful charitable purpose.
If that describes you, please read on for more details!
What you’ll do - Essential Job Functions
- Organize and promote PJ Library family programming and community engagement designed engage young families in UJF
- Manage PJ Library Ambassadors
- Ensure ongoing communication with PJ Library national office to obtain resources and professional development opportunities and apply for grants
- Manage subscription lists
- Attend the annual PJ Library conference
- Compile and send monthly PJ Library newsletter
- Attend community events where PJ Library recruitment is possible
- Manage the 9 UJF Affinity networking groups by establishing committees to plan for and recruit for programs
- Compile all UJF program materials weekly to have included in Synagogue Bulletins. Shalom Stamford, New Canaan, and Darien and Shalom Baby
- Find opportunities for “big tent Judaism” type encounters
- Attend community events as needed on behalf of Federation
New Jewish Voice Newspaper
- Write articles on events and activities for the New Jewish Voice
- Assist with broader organizational programs and fundraising efforts as needed
- Support and work closely with CEO and other staff as needed
- Assist in organizing and producing events, programs, and campaigns
- Develop measurable outcomes to evaluate effectiveness of assignments
What you’ll bring - Minimum Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited college or university. Ideal degrees include but are not limited to Non-Profit Management, Social Work, Jewish Communal Service, Management and Leadership, Hospitality, Tourism, Event Management, Marketing/Advertising, Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, or Jewish Communal Service.
- Two to five years of professional work experience in a non-profit organization or equivalent is preferred, but not required.
- Understanding of Jewish values, holidays, traditions, and culture. Jewish communal service experience and Jewish knowledge is a plus.
- Must have knowledge and ability to use databases, computer spreadsheets, word processing and other basic programs (Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel), and email marketing programs (such as Constant Contact).
Skills & Competencies:
- The ideal candidate will be dynamic, high-energy, creative, organized, and be able to act as a community organizer while possessing an unequivocal level of diplomacy and discretion.
- Important qualities for success in this role include being detail-oriented, versatile, organized, innovative, collaborative and a team-player.
- Strong written and verbal communication, social media, project management, administrative, time-management and organizational skills are a must.
- The candidate should have an entrepreneurial mindset, be able to identify and pursue new opportunities and be effective at forging strong interpersonal connections and alliances.
- The candidate must also have a team-oriented attitude and a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues and volunteer partners, managing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Experience in event coordination, community organizing, and volunteer engagement is ideal.
- The ideal individual should be able to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations and work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities.
- Humility, the ability to receive feedback, and a desire to learn and grow.
- Lifting, pushing and pulling up to 10 pounds using proper body mechanics and/or available equipment as physically required—including but not limited to moving supplies and office furniture etc.
- Physical stamina – must be able to bend, kneel, and squat as required to maintain files and records, etc.
- Position uses typical office environment apparatus including computer, printer, fax machine and copier.
- Reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer
Why join the United Jewish Federation Team
UJF is guided by Jewish values and principles of Tzedakah (charity) and caring about Jewish causes. We have a commitment to the survival of world Jewry; a love for Jewish culture, traditions, and learning; respect for others; and communication that is truthful and open.
Our mission is to build and safeguard our Jewish community and strengthen our connections to Israel and global Jewry by convening and mobilizing our community to invest in Jewish life for today and future generations.
We foster a welcoming, strong, cohesive Jewish community characterized by our compassion, generosity, and commitment to Jewish values and the state of Israel. We respect and celebrate our diversity by coming together to sustain an inclusive, flourishing, and vibrant Jewish community.
We do all of this while providing a fun and collaborative work environment. Our team is made up of a great group of creative minds – come work with us!
Are you ready to join the UJF team?
We employ highly talented individuals who share in our organization’s mission and values. All voices are needed ND joining Federation’s team is an opportunity for us to introduce fresh perspectives, talent, and skills into our workforce and our communities.
This position provides a salary range of $65,000-$75,000. In addition to health, vision, and dental benefits available to our employees, we offer membership to the Stamford JCC and contributions to a retirement account.
Why Fairfield County?
Fairfield County offers proximity to NYC and the tri-state area. With world class restaurants, entertainment, parks, varied housing options, and more, Fairfield County offers endless opportunities for all ages.
If this sounds like the type of opportunity you've been looking for, apply today with a cover letter, resume and two professional references to: [email protected]