ALEPH ORDINATION PROGRAM REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS FOR DEAN POSITION
One of the leading Jewish seminaries, the ALEPH Ordination Program (AOP) was launched nearly 20 years ago. More than 200 rabbis, cantors, rabbinic pastors and spiritual directors from diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and representing nearly every denomination have been trained to serve the global Jewish community with the goal of revitalizing Judaism.
In our next stage, the ALEPH seminary is poised to build new models of community, birth new spiritual technologies, and bring increased consciousness to Judaism's potential for healing the planet. Our work is rooted in the rich legacy of Jewish mystical/Hasidic traditions and the deep wisdom of Jewish life and practice.
The AOP Dean works part-time and reports to ALEPH’s Executive Director. The ED will consult as appropriate with the AOP Vaad, the Academic Council of the AOP. The AOP’s current budget is approximately $560,000 with 32 faculty members and nearly 100 students. The new Dean will herald the next generation of leadership in the greater religious community, including the development of state-recognized degree-granting programs, establishing an endowment, and achieving accreditation.
The AOP is part of a national organization, ALEPH: Alliance for Jewish Renewal. ALEPH brings spiritual vitality and passion into the daily lives of Jews through programs that empower leadership, build communities, and generate transformative experiences and practical resources.
AOP Dean Job Qualifications
The next AOP Dean will be inspiring, inclusive and authentic. While we understand that no single individual will embody every skill set or quality, the successful candidate will demonstrate many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- High level of emotional and spiritual intelligence and capacity for self-reflection and self improvement
- Experience with geographically dispersed culture, teams, and management
- Strategic problem solver
- Able to maintain independent judgment and professional boundaries
- Adaptive to evolving Judaism and a changing student body
- Skilled in organizational change management
- Inspiring presence for students, prospective students, alumni, and as the AOP public face
- Can work well with ALEPH Executive leadership and AOP leadership and staff
- In relationship with Reb Zalman’s teachings, Renewal principles and a mystical Judaism; views position as part of spiritual practice
- Financial acumen and fundraising experience, including a track record of raising significant funds from a variety of sources and network of contacts with foundations and individual donor prospects
- Capacity to toggle between spaciousness/vision and tactical requirements; able to balance the needs of multiple stakeholders and interests
- Clergy ordination may be helpful but is not required.
- Experience in leadership/administration within a higher-education context or related fields; demonstrated familiarity with geographically dispersed learning, preferred.
- Experience hiring, managing, and developing a diverse staff; experience with geographically dispersed management is highly desirable.
- Reputation as a principled strategic collaborator with keen listening skills and the ability to bridge philosophies and perspectives.
- Significant experience with financial and budget management and strategy that is grounded in standard financial practices.
Flexible. ALEPH and the AOP largely operate digitally, with at least two (2) in-person gatherings/retreats per year.
Salary range is $50,000-$60,000, depending on experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals and people of all traditionally marginalized identities to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Applications will be reviewed at the close of the application period and eligible candidates will be contacted to arrange interviews. Please send a cover letter, a vita/resume, and any supporting materials you would like to include, as a single PDF document to: [email protected] All materials must be received by December 31, 2021.