Who We Are, Where We Stand
The Danforth Jewish Circle (DJC) is a joyous and inclusive, accessible and inspiring Jewish community located in the heart of Riverdale. Our members include singles and families of all ages who come from diverse Jewish backgrounds and cultural traditions, interfaith and intercultural families, and the full spectrum of sexual orientations and gender identities.
We are an egalitarian, unaffiliated community that is part of a larger progressive Jewish movement. We share in the rich wisdom and inspiration of Jewish tradition and culture while seeking to challenge, explore, and reinterpret it.
Learn more about our values and all the threads we weave into the fabric of our vibrant community by visiting us HERE.
What You Bring to the DJC
- You are an ordained rabbi, or have equivalent skills and experience
- You are adept at exploring the relevance of Jewish traditions to contemporary life
- You have ability to engage a diverse congregation in services and programs that integrate music, Jewish learning, culture and spirituality to create joyful Jewish spaces and build a sense of community
- You possess the pastoral ability to support, celebrate and comfort our members through myriad Jewish life cycles and milestones
- You can adapt to a schedule that unfolds at different rhythms throughout the year, and the flexibility to lead lifecycle events, individual and group b’nei mitzvot, services and programs, and provide pastoral care to our community
- Ability to support our intergenerational learning through our vibrant school and b’nei mitzvah program
- You have the written and oral capacity to communicate complex and current issues impacting the Jewish community broadly and, in particular, the DJC
- You have the flexibility to work both in-person and online
- You can smoothly shift gears as you prepare for bi-weekly Shabbat services and holyday events after High Holydays
- You have the collaboration skills to work with a dynamic staff team, the Board and community committees, the experience to expect the unexpected, and an even hand to deal with last-minute resets
- You are a people person at heart and recognize the essential, long-lasting value in members contributing to the community that offers them a sense of belonging
What We Offer
Support from a collaborative team of committed staff, board, community and volunteers. We offer a dedicated administrative support person.
$100,000 - $115,000 annually based on skills and experience, and benefits (health and dental).
This is a temporary, full-time position based in Toronto from November 2022 until June 2023, with possible extension.
How To Apply
If you think you’re the right person for this role, please submit your resume and cover letter HERE. The deadline for submissions is September 6, 2022. People applying for this position may also apply for the permanent rabbi position once posted.
We are an equal opportunity organisation that values diversity in people and we are committed to excellence and inclusion. We welcome resumes from underrepresented groups including visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of the lgbtq2s+ community. If you have a disability and require accommodation at any stage of the application process or hiring process, please call us at 416-580-6303 or email us at [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.