Northwestern Hillel is seeking an organized, detail-oriented, and friendly professional to be responsible for our day-to-day functions from greeting prospective students to placing catering orders for student leaders and fellow staff, to managing our building and social media calendars. You will be accountable for ensuring friendly, efficient, and accurate task completion and contributing to our positive work environment and staff culture. You must have excellent administrative skills, and be approachable, personable, and sensitive. This position is an excellent entry (or re-entry!) point to Hillel and Jewish communal work for someone who is passionate about the behind-the-scenes work that goes into building thriving Jewish communities.
What You’ll Do
Event planning and marketing
- Coordinate all Shabbat and holiday meals and logistics, including catering meal orders and room reservations on campus.
- Manage and coordinate logistics for large scale community events such as High Holidays and Passover.
- Manage logistics and collaborate with staff and student leaders to ensure the successful execution of Shabbat, holiday celebrations, and small to large-scale events (e.g., our annual Celebrity Speaker event).
- Support student-initiated programs, including logistics and planning, marketing and communications, budgeting, and evaluation.
- Curate and send out weekly emails including student newsletter and Shabbat RSVP form.
- Create and implement a robust social media calendar that ensures an engaging Instagram presence with relevant posts and stories.
- Participate in community-building initiatives and maintain relationships with students, serving as a mentor during their college experience.
General Office and Operations Support
- Answer phones, greet visitors, and generally serve as the first face of the organization.
- Oversee hiring and supervision of student staff (“Directors of First Impressions”), including maintaining quarterly schedule, and delegating projects and tasks.
- Maintain Hillel’s busy public and internal calendars, managing space reservations from student leaders, staff, and outside rentals.
- Work closely with facilities personnel to ensure Hillel’s spaces are set up as needed.
- Update website and create registration forms for programs and events as needed.
- Check Hillel general email daily and assign follow-up to appropriate staff members.
- Manage inventory of office supplies for programs and general office use.
- Other administrative tasks as needed.
What You’ve Accomplished
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 0-3 years relevant experience
- Some experience with Hillel/Jewish life a plus
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Eager to find answers to all questions and go the extra mile to get to yes
- Exemplary time management skills, including the capacity to juggle competing priorities and deadlines, and to remain flexible within a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to follow complex instructions and quickly learn new procedures and systems
- Attention to detail and a love for making sure spaces are clean, welcoming, and accessible
- Commitment to being part of a staff culture that values candor, collaboration, and creativity
- Knowledge of essential computer software programs, including the Google Suite, Microsoft Word and Excel, and the agility and resourcefulness to learn new technologies
- Discretion and appreciation of confidentiality
- Strong drive and willingness to take initiative to complete each task to a high standard
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $48,000-55,000.
- Time off: Up to 22 days paid time off, up to 10 sick days, 8 paid federal holidays and up to 13 paid Jewish holidays, and 6 weeks paid parental leave.
- Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance. 401(k) with base contribution and match. Additional health and wellness benefits, financial benefits, professional training, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill-building opportunities as part of the global Hillel movement.
- Reduced summer hours to accommodate for the fast pace of the academic year.
- An unlimited supply of purple Hillel swag.
About Northwestern Hillel
Northwestern Hillel is an exciting, fast-based, inspiring work environment with a brand-new building in the center of campus. Our team, which earned the Hillel International 2018 “Great Place to Work” Award, is a high-energy, dedicated, student-focused staff of professionals committed to enriching Jewish life on campus and beyond. Jewish life is thriving at Northwestern University, and Northwestern Hillel is the center and catalyst for Jewish life on campus.
Northwestern Hillel offers a wide array of opportunities for Jewish students of all backgrounds and interests to connect with Jewish life and their own Jewish story and journey. The professional staff supports students in creating meaningful Jewish experiences for themselves and their peers while they enrich the Jewish community at Northwestern, the campus community, and the world beyond.
Northwestern Hillel is part of the Hillels of Illinois, a department of the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago (JUF). JUF is the one organization that impacts every aspect of local and global Jewish life, providing human services for Jews and others in need, creating Jewish experiences and strengthening Jewish community connections.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.