Tifereth Israel Synagogue (TIS) is a warm, welcoming, and growing 315-family Conservative congregation in San Diego, California, with a dynamic Rabbi, a thriving preschool, innovative programming, and a strong Torah school. Founded in 1905 and just a few miles from San Diego State University, TIS has a daily morning minyan and has become the center of Jewish life in the eastern part of San Diego. TIS also hosts the Tifereth Israel Community Orchestra.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors’ Administrative Vice President and manages TIS’ administration, finances, personnel, and fundraising. Other job duties are to:
- Prepare annual budgets and oversee all grant applications
- Actively participate in membership development and retention
- Support fundraising and development opportunities
- Work closely with Rabbi, Board, and auxiliary organizations (e.g., Men’s Club & Sisterhood)
- Supervise Professional Staff
- Coach staff on teamwork and monitor team relationships and effectiveness
- Set agendas for and chair staff meetings
- Attend Board of Directors and congregational meetings
- Supervise and work closely with front office and maintenance staff
- Regularly coordinate and communicate with the Board of Directors
- Oversee the maintenance of TIS property, which includes hiring and supervising contractors
- Assist with ongoing security efforts
- Ensure compliance with HR and other day-to-day regulatory obligations
- Attend major events and major services and regularly engage with congregants
- Be an active representative of TIS in the greater San Diego Jewish and local communities.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Three to five years of progressively responsible nonprofit administrative experience; and
- Jewish communal service experience; knowledge of Jewish rituals and holidays.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong organizational skills are a must;
- Budgeting and program management;
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, bookkeeping, and database and accounting software;
- Ability to work as a team leader and team player;
- Knowledge of and experience in marketing; and
- Decision-making par excellence
Generous compensation package includes competitive salary commensurate with experience & qualifications; discounted preschool and Torah school; three weeks of paid vacation; medical insurance; and ability to leave early on Fridays.