Congregation Ahavath Chesed (”the Temple”), located in Jacksonville, Florida, is seeking a full-time Executive Director to partner with our historic congregation in collaboration with our Rabbi Maya Glasser, Cantor Carrie Barry and lay leadership. Candidates interested in an interim position may also apply.
Chartered in 1882, the Temple is the longstanding center of Reform Judaism in Northeast Florida, with approximately 500 member units. As Reform Jews, we are committed to the principles of inclusion and acceptance, as evidenced by our diverse congregation. We practice Big Tent Judaism where all are welcome, regardless of age, ethnicity, race, marital status, sexual orientation or financial means. We extend a special invitation to interfaith families and anyone wishing to embrace Jewish life. The Temple is currently seeking a hardworking, dedicated and passionate Executive Director to oversee the management and supervision of day-to-day synagogue operations. Specifically, s/he will be responsible for managing the office and facilities personnel, budgeting and finance, development, facilities, marketing/membership outreach, synagogue calendar and information technology. The qualified candidate will be an experienced and skilled organizational manager who demonstrates innovation and enthusiasm. S/he must enjoy working with others, with the ability both to collaborate with the Clergy and Lay Leadership and be responsive to the needs of current and prospective congregants.
Reporting directly to the President of the Board of Directors, this individual will work closely with clergy and lay leadership, manage a budget of approximately $1.2 million, and oversee four administrative staff and two facilities staff. As an ambassador of the Temple, s/he must seek to understand and be responsive to the community we serve.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 5 years of management experience in a member driven environment in
the not-for-profit sector;
- Demonstrated success in financial, operational, and administrative management;
- Collaborative management and leadership skills;
- Demonstrated depth of experience in marketing, communications and development;
- Outstanding ability to communicate sensitively and diplomatically with all internal and external constituents;
- An understanding of various external/internal marketing strategies to help foster community-wide relations (including updating the Temple website, social media, weekly e-mail blasts, news article submissions, press releases or other marketing materials as requested).
- Proficiency in G Suite Business and Microsoft Office and, ideally, familiarity with CRM membership software for religious institutions (currently Shulcloud), fundraising software and Sage accounting software;
- The energy and drive to manage a strategic planning process and help build our vision for the future;
- Working knowledge of Jewish traditions and customs (a successful candidate does not need to be Jewish); and
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience and incorporates benefits, paid vacation and synagogue membership.
Interested candidates should submit resume and a cover letter which summarizes, in one paragraph, why you should be our next Executive Director. Send your resume to [email protected]. We look forward to meeting you!