SHIFRA is a unique Jewish support network for women with unplanned/unwanted pregnancies. Our mission is to nurture Jewish women through their pregnancy crises and help them flourish as mothers and women.
SHIFRA is seeking a new part-time Pregnancy and Postpartum Counselor.
In this position, the SHIFRA Counselor uses her therapeutic skills to support Jewish women across the United States through unplanned pregnancy crises. SHIFRA Counselors will provide sensitive follow-up in cases of miscarriage or termination but primarily works with clients to overcome the challenges created by unplanned or unwanted pregnancies. Our support does not replace in-person therapy.
The SHIFRA Counselor will receive in-house training from our other experienced team members and the opportunity for free perinatal mental health certification through Postpartum International.
The SHIFRA Counselor works on several primary goals with the clients:
- Preparing for and adjusting to motherhood, including working on attachment and postpartum bonding as needed;
- Increasing self-care practices and improving resilience/ confidence through practical problem-solving;
- Increasing the quality of other relationships (including with their partner/other children) and expanding their support network.
SHIFRA Counselors also work closely with the SHIFRA Care team to help their clients access SHIFRA’s material aid, financial aid, and more.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- 15+ years working with women and families
Highly Valued Experience:
- Jewish domestic abuse counseling
- Perinatal mental health
- Couples counseling
- Parenting coaching
- Direct child-raising
Our contract pay is highly competitive for non-profit agencies and commensurate with experience. Current availability is for 5-8 hours per week, with opportunity to expand.
If you have questions or are interested, please email Erica Pelman, [email protected], Executive Director, with a cover letter and resume.