The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee strives to strengthen Jewish life and identity, provide for Jewish people in need, and promote support for Israel. The Federation seeks to build a safe and secure Jewish community and counter antisemitism through education and honor Jewish traditions. A 2019 Brandeis University study identified Sarasota-Manatee among the fastest-growing Jewish communities in the country, and members have a deep desire to engage and connect with their Jewish culture and community. In 2023, Sarasota was named one of the Top 10 Best Places to Live in the U.S. and number one in Florida by U.S. News and World Report.
Currently, the Federation is in the midst of a transformative campus redevelopment project. The Larry Greenspon Campus for Jewish Life will serve as a hub of community building, an oasis of learning and respectful exchange, and an incubator for arts and ideas.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Major Gifts Officer will strengthen the Federation’s overall giving strategy and increase fundraising effectiveness. With a focus on cultivating major donors ($10,000+) and identifying new prospects, this role will be integral in creating a culture of philanthropy inside and outside the organization.
- Partner with the Chief Advancement Officer for all fundraising campaigns
- Collaborate on event strategy with a focus on increasing fundraising success, reaching new audiences and follow up solicitation strategy
- Provide experience and feedback on best practices across multiple development functions, i.e. direct mail, endowment fundraising, donor advised funds, etc.
- Develop a deep understanding of integrated Federation programs and be able to articulate priorities
- Maintain a donor portfolio of 80-100 major donors and high level prospects
- Create and implement appropriate cultivation and stewardship strategies for new and existing donors, matching donor’s interest and goals with Federation’s priorities and initiatives
- Successfully complete 12-15 high-touch, curated, donor-centered meetings/scheduled interactions each month
- Identify and engage new community members to be involved in Federation; work collaboratively with Development team members to follow up on identified prospects
- Utilize the donor database (Blackbaud) to maintain accurate records of all donor interactions, programmatic interests, trends in giving, and type of support to solicit
- Collaborate with lay leaders through Board Task Forces and Committees
- Attend Jewish community events, professional leadership opportunities and Israel programming and education
Qualifications & Skills:
- Successful fundraising experience including direct solicitation of five and six figure gifts
- Exceptional donor-relations skills
- Proven ability in creating strategies to cultivate prospects and channel donor engagement
- Strong knowledge of philanthropic planning vehicles a plus
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who crafts creative solutions and opens doors to new donor relationships
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet objectives and performance standards
- Knowledge of the Jewish community, its customs, and practices
- Proven track record of success with donor database and prospect identification systems
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, and various electronic communication tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a highly motivated goal-oriented team environment
The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee provides salary plus bonus opportunities, generous benefits, a warm and engaging staff and committed lay leaders