University of Kansas (KU) Hillel
University of Kansas (KU) Hillel seeks a talented Jewish professional to serve as our dedicated Engagement Associate. This is a rewarding exempt position that provides an opportunity to grow in a career of Jewish education, engage with thousands of students a year, flex your creative programming and marketing skills, and inspire a team of students to grow in their personal Jewish journeys. Our ideal candidate will be excited by the transformation currently underway at KU Hillel and want to be a part of the vibrancy of the coming phase of our work. This role is a contract based position, looking for someone to start as soon as possible and stay in the role through the spring semester with the possibility of being offered a promoted, permanent position in the spring based on the result of a grant application process we are currently going through.
As the Engagement Associate of KU Hillel, you will work collaboratively on a team of staff towards the goal of engaging Jewish students and nurturing the next generation of Jewish leaders. Your work will focus on student outreach and engagement, recurring programming, creating innovative one time events based on the interests of our students, and supporting the work of the Director of Jewish Student Life.
Who We're Looking For:
We seek candidates ready to step into an organization going through a period of transition who share our passion for promoting Jewish life among emerging adults. We encourage you to apply if you have experience in higher education, summer camp, youth movements, and program development. You should have a deep passion for Jewish education and Israel.
The University of Kansas (KU) is centered in Lawrence, Kansas. Founded by abolitionists in 1854, Lawrence has carried that tradition of freedom and individuality through the generations. Today, Lawrence remains a crossroads of culture, celebrating the artists and innovators that populate its history and create an unmistakable identity. So, too is the spirit of the Jayhawks that power KU. KU is the state’s flagship institution, home to innovative research and the constant pursuit of knowledge. KU offers fourteen academic schools and four hundred degree and certificate programs, serving nineteen thousand undergraduate students.
KU Hillel proudly serves 1,200 Jewish students and boasts a dedicated professional team, including an Assistant Director, Jewish Educator, Program Coordinator, and on-site Licensed Master Social Worker/Therapist (part-time) in partnership with Jewish Family Services of Kansas City.
As the Engagement Associate, you will:
- Build relationships with approximately 180-200 students from diverse backgrounds over the course of a year, by engaging them in meaningful conversations and creating connections to a variety of Jewish experiences.
- Utilizing a comprehensive engagement strategy developed by our Assistant Director and Director of Jewish student Life, focus on peer engagement and relationship building to connect with students.
- Collaborate with the full Student Life team on a variety of programs and initiatives. Meet one-on-one with students, work with student leaders to develop program committees that help lead weekly events and develop one time stand alone programming based on the interests of the students you are working with.
- Provide staffing support for all Jewish initiatives, including experiences around Shabbat, Jewish holidays, and learning.
- Champion organizational growth and positive change through transparency, trust, and collaboration.
Qualifications & Experience:
We are looking for candidates with:
- Previous volunteer or professional experience with Hillel or organizations focused on Jewish youth and young adult engagement is preferred.
- Proven success in community building and outreach, and previous experience in program visioning and implementation.
- Willingness to participate in professional development, supervision, and coaching as you learn your new job.
- Strong communication skills, including written proposals and public speaking.
- A track record of building relationships with colleagues and students.
- Two or more years of experience in a Jewish program that you have been a participant.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary ranging from $36,000 to $42,000.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, life insurance, long-term disability (LTD), vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Opportunities to attend global conferences for personal and professional development.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.