The Coordinator plays a key role in helping to realize the vision, goals and strategy of the Early Childhood department by focusing on best practices and supporting teaching teams in meeting our vision of emergent curriculum with a constructivist approach to learning.
The Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Camp Director on the overall planning, implementation and oversight of all areas of camp including but not limited to programming, staffing, training and scheduling.
The Coordinator will foster and develop deeply connected relationships with children, families, and staff as they offer support for educators and camp staff and make the experiences visible and valued for our families. As families grow with our program, the Coordinator will work to build engagement and look for stewardship opportunities throughout the agency.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Embody JCC’s Early Childhood and Camp philosophy with passion, warmth and integrity to parents, educators, camp staff and peers.
- Work with Director to understand and assess trends, community needs and identify opportunities for innovation and growth.
- Understand and communicate JCC mission and impact to staff and program participants.
- Consistently evaluate program development and adjust as necessary.
- Work with Director to understand the budget development, implementation, and compliance process.
Early Childhood Curriculum & Camp Program Excellence
- Be responsible for curriculum excellence and utilizing a Jewish lens which incorporates Reggio Emilia principles and a commitment to Outdoor Classroom.
- With Director, ensure the staff provides a dynamic Jewish context for children to learn about themselves, Jewish values, their community, and the world.
- Support, train and mentor staff in emergent curriculum, documentation, and classroom-home connections.
- Work with Director to maintain compliance with DCFS licensing and JCC policy.
- Confer with teachers, Social Service staff, families, and specialists to be alert to the needs for early intervention: responsible for implementation of recommendations of Social Service Team.
- Oversee Family Involvement Group (FIG) ensuring that parents are active stakeholders in the school community.
- Facilitate tours, attend community gatherings, and actively recruit new families.
- Warmly welcome and greet parents and children on a daily basis.
- Maintain timely and effective communications with parents at all times to ensure a quality customer experience.
- Engage with new and prospective families through engagement programming.
- Be knowledgeable about all JCC programs and ensure that staff is actively and effectively stewarding families through offerings.
- Work with Site Director to create and execute consistent on-boarding processes and professional development for new teachers. Assist with monthly professional development meetings.
- Assist the Director in interviewing, hiring, training and supervising teaching and camp staff. Create annual goals, staff development and training plans and facilitate the staff evaluation processes (both formal and informal).
- Assist with staffing and substitute coverage for school and camp.
- In partnership with the Director, build a collaborative and collegial community throughout the Early Childhood and Camp programs.
Business Operations & JCC Partnerships
- Support EC Site Director and EC Administrative Assistant in evaluating site performance, growth strategies, competition, customer and staff feedback and pricing/product strategies.
- Become an expert in security policies and procedures. Be able to support and lead team in emergency situations.
- Actively participate in department and agency-wide events.
- Become proficient with Kaymbu, Camp Minder, Salesforce and Outlook.
- Edit weekly classroom Storyboards.
- Shop for weekly needs at school and camp during business hours. Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license for at least 24 months, proof of insurance.
Essential Job Duties/Physical Requirements:
- Lift/move children up to 40 lbs.
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
- Ability to operate equipment such as phone, computer keyboard, calculator and standard office equipment.
- Repetitive movement of arms and hands to operate computer, keyboard and mouse.
- Vision: must be able to distinguish between colors, shades and brightness with ability to focus.
- Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children.
- React with physical and mental alertness in emergency situations.
- Use hands for grasping classroom equipment and play material.
- Supervise children by sight and sound.
- Diaper children in accordance with DCFS and NAEYC requirements.
Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 12:30pm or 10:00am – 2:00pm. Occasional weekend and evening hours per program needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood, Elementary Education, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 18 hours in Early Childhood college course work or willing to obtain credentials.
- Previous experience serving as a Lead Teacher in an Early Childhood classroom.
- Demonstrated experience with emergent curriculum and outdoor classrooms.
- 2+ years within a Reggio Emilia inspired school, highly preferred.
- Experience using social media tools on behalf of organization helpful.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) required; demonstrated ability to communicate warmly and effectively with children, families, and staff.
- Highly developed skills in business acumen, verbal and written communications, conflict management, listening, and decision making.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Jewish culture and values.
- Good organizational and multitasking skills with ability to manage own workload with attention to priorities, timelines, and deadlines.
- The ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality a must.
- Ability to demonstrate and lead with the JCC Chicago’s Four Core Values: Self-Leadership and Accountability, Creativity and Innovation, Teamwork and Collaboration, and Customer Service.