This position is for the 2023-2024 School Year.
The School Social Worker / Counselor is responsible for providing direct and indirect support services to students experiencing social, emotional, and/or behavioral challenges that interfere with their performance at school. The social worker / counselor serves as the communication nexus between the school, home, and community providers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide school social work services to students who present with social/emotional/behavioral concerns that negatively impact their ability to function within the school setting.
Duties of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as related service provider:
- Serves as case manager for students with ISP and 504 plans
- Consults with families and outside providers
- Counseling (group, individual)
- Develops behavior intervention plans
- Maintains current and accurate case notes
Providing services to students, staff and families:
- Provides crisis intervention support
- Develops interventions to increase social and academic success
- Helps students develop skills for appropriate social interactions with peers
- Helps students understand and accept themselves and others
- Connects families with appropriate social service agencies
- Assesses mental health concerns
Maintaining professional competence through in-service and professional growth activities. Other related duties as assigned.
Skills required for this position include:
- Enthusiasm about engaging with early adolescents and other educators
- The ability to develop creative solutions to challenging situations
- The ability to set and maintain professional boundaries
- Calm and collected demeanor during crisis situations
- A proactive work ethic, growth mindset, and positive attitude
- Highly collaborative and discreet with sensitive information
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Masters degree in Social Work, Counseling, or Psychology, from an accredited program
- Must hold professional licensure
- Experience working with children and adolescents
Intangible Benefits Include:
Culture of Caring
At Solomon Schechter Day School of Metropolitan Chicago, we ignite our students' Jewish souls, educate them to their highest potential, and empower them to use their knowledge, skills, and creativity to enrich our world.
Come join us!