Director of Communications
FLSA Status: Full-time; Exempt
Temple Rodef Shalom is a Reform Jewish congregation located in the Northern Virginia suburbs just outside Washington, DC. Since our founding in 1962, we have grown into the largest Jewish congregation in Virginia, serving about 1,800 households. We serve 200 families in our Early Childhood Center, nearly 800 students in our Religious School, and hundreds of people who walk through our doors weekly to pray, sing, learn, connect, and mark life cycle moments.
The Director of Communications will bring a strategic, thoughtful approach to the existing TRS communications landscape, ensuring that a dynamic and warm voice reflects the congregation across all channels. They will be responsible for all digital and print communications to our congregation and the larger community. They will develop and implement a communications plan that evaluates existing channels and envisions new, efficient ways to engage and connect with our constituencies. This senior-level role reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Senior Cantor. They will supervise the full-time AV Coordinator and a PT Communications Associate (role TBD) and is expected to collaborate with lay leadership regularly.
- Oversee and participate in the design, content creation, layout, production, and distribution of all temple communications, including:
- Weekly e-blast
- Monthly “Looking ahead” program email
- Monthly print magazine
- Bi-annual printed program guide
- Special messages such as fundraising or membership communications
- Stand-alone messages from clergy or leadership responding to communal events
- Intense, time-bound projects like the Jewish High Holy Days
- Create high-quality, consistent, sophisticated communications that convey warmth and inspire engagement across print, email, social media, web, and media relations
- Bring industry standards and best practices from the field to the temple
- Build and maintain trust through timely, accurate, and professional messaging
- Oversee various communication tools including emails, website, and social media channels
- Manage photo, video, and audio projects in partnership with key staff
- Supervise the full-time AV Coordinator and part-time Communications Associate (role TBD)
- Manage work done by external professionals such as photographers, graphic designers, printers, etc.
- Monitor basic digital engagement benchmarks to inform outreach and engagement strategies
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, marketing, journalism, English, etc.
- 5+ years of experience in marketing, communications, PR or a related field.
- Proven ability to develop communications that advance strategic goals and engage a wide range of constituencies.
- Attention to detail with high standards and principles regarding brand integrity and accuracy.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Experience working on websites/other media to ensure user-friendly, dynamic content.
- Comfortable using tools like CRM/database systems, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, etc.
- Entrepreneurial, able to generate quick creative solutions and long-term programming ideas.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, volunteers, and vendors.
- Experience managing staff and working collaboratively with a team towards a shared goal.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
- A strong understanding of Jewish rituals, customs, holidays, and congregational relationships will be highly beneficial