Who is JFS? Jewish Family Services (JFS) employs a strengths-based, trauma-informed approach in supporting and strengthening lives throughout Greater Kansas City. We have provided essential human services for people facing challenges in everyday life or times of crisis regardless of faith, age, culture, or lifestyle for over 120 years. Our highly-skilled and compassionate staff are dedicated to preserving the well-being, comfort, and dignity of others, always respecting the confidentiality of our clients. JFS proudly serves more than 10,000 people annually, more than half of whom are not Jewish. JFS provides a breadth of related services, with the goal of helping people in difficult times get back on their own feet. Our service areas include KesherKC (social services and food pantry), Older Adult Services, Mental Health and Education, and Jewish Life including Chaplaincy.
Position Summary: The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator supports the Volunteer Engagement Program. This position works in partnership with the Volunteer Engagement Manager, the Director of Program Operations, and agency staff to ensure agency volunteer needs are being met. Responsibilities include recruitment, onboarding, training, engagement, and recognition of JFS volunteers. The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator contributes to and helps maintain JFS's goals and programs through active volunteer management.
- Serves as Initial point of contact for potential volunteers.
- Onboard new volunteers in a timely manner.
- Assists in volunteer recruitment activities.
- Manages time-sensitive day-to-day scheduling of food pantry volunteers.
- Assists with coordinating and managing staff requests for volunteers.
- Assists with volunteer recognition events.
- Manages administrative duties including regular updates of the volunteer database and training materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required.
- 2-3 years volunteer engagement experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Able to learn and use desktop technologies (sign-up tools, scheduling tools, volunteer management software).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to prioritize tasks for maximum efficiency.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to communicate sincere appreciation for those who volunteer with JFS.
- Able to work effectively with a wide range of staff and client populations.
- Able to facilitate presentations.
Environmental/Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully:
- This position works in both the Kansas & Missouri locations with some WFH opportunities. Must have the technology to be able to WFH.
- Able to lift up to 30lbs and help with event set-up and tear-down.
- Able to walk and stand for long periods of time.
- Able to comply with JFS mandatory Covid vaccination policy.
- Choice of 3 BCBSKC Insurance Plans
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Group Life/AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending
- Employee Assistance Program
- Start with 3 weeks PTO
- Start with up to 3 Floating Holidays
- Up to 3 weeks of Paid Holidays
- 401k Plan with Employer Match
- Free Parking
- Fun Employee Events
- Casual Dress
Guiding Principles: JFS is guided by five principles that inform how we engage with each other and the community we serve. The right candidate will be in alignment with these values:
- B’Yachad - Stronger Together: We are stronger as an agency and a community when we think, work, and serve together.
- Being Human-Centered: We put the human experience and perspective at the center of our thinking, programming, services, and interactions.
- Collaboration: We actively seek partnering opportunities within JFS and throughout our community.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship: We respond and continually adapt to ongoing needs and changes in the Greater Kansas City area.
- Open Communication: We communicate openly, honestly, and in a solution-oriented manner.
EEO: Jewish Family Services is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. Employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and organizational need, and all applicants will be considered for employment with dignity and respect, free of all discrimination, including that which is based on race, color, religion, gender, language, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.