Membership Associate/Data Specialist
ABOUT TEMPLE ISRAEL
Temple Israel is widely recognized as the largest reform temple in New England, and it is one of the most prominent synagogues in the greater Boston area. With over 1,200 member families, our impact within the Boston Jewish Community runs deep. Temple Israel is known for offering an array of Jewish experiences and cultural and social programming, including interfaith inclusion and social justice activism. Our historic building is home to our FJECC Preschool, a K-12 Religious School and Teen Program, a well-renowned preschool, and Beacon Academy, an independent school for urban youth. Through our website (www.tisrael.org), email blasts, social media presence, and print media, we strive to communicate the benefits of affiliation and membership. In addition to spiritual connection, Temple Israel offers volunteer opportunities, social justice outreach, education programs, youth group activities, and intergenerational events that include many who are involved in the orbit of the vibrancy of our Temple Israel community.
Temple Israel is seeking an experienced and personable Membership Associate to manage our needs related to new and existing members, database management, and overall data integrity for all in our orbit. The position is an integral role for the success of Temple Israel and the overall satisfaction and happiness of our members. This position requires dependability, the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and a high level of professionalism. As an active member of the staff team, this person engages with our members and ensures they are warmly welcomed, feel connected, and are involved in the community.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work independently, with a proven track record of self-direction, follow-through, and dependability. Excellent oral and written communications skills, keen attention to detail, and stellar customer service and interpersonal skills are a must. The candidate should be able to relate to the wide spectrum of Temple Israel constituencies, and cultivate strong organizational proficiency.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an energetic and proactive professional with a passion and commitment for synagogue life. Vibrant applicants with a sense of humor and a desire for longevity in this role are encouraged to apply. This position reports to the Director of Development.
- Act as the first point of contact for all potential new members, helping them navigate the enrollment and registration process
- Help members find their way into the myriad interest groups, learning opportunities and spiritual practices that make up the Temple Israel experience
- Track trends regarding membership and involvement and report to the Executive Director, board, senior staff
- Manage High Holy Day ticketing including member, non-member and reciprocal requests
- Support the efforts of committees connected to the area of membership and ensure their success
- Execute outreach and recruitment strategies in conjunction with the Engagement Strategy Team
- Be part of an Engagement Strategy team to develop strategies for involvement and connection.
- Provide support to temple lay leaders and volunteers on projects and events including Shabbat dinners, new member gatherings and external events
- Work closely with our Engagement Associate to help build and implement engagement strategies and events, and ensure that all new members are known to clergy and lay leadership
Administrative and CRM Responsibilities (Salesforce)
- Acts as the liaison to our database provider, working closely with key staff and the Executive Director, and the Director of Development
- Maintain data integrity of the database by updating member records and processing new member applications including coordination of billing and abatements
- Assist with updating membership data including communication preferences, interest based information and other volunteer related data
- Spearhead the creation of a new working database for all cemetery records and information
- Oversee Congregant Portal for members
- Provide phone and email support to temple members by responding to inquiries about life cycle events, educational opportunities, ways to get involved, billing, member options and engagement pathways
- Manage all administrative aspects of membership including our annual member renewal process
- Coordinate membership billing and abatement process with our finance team
- Work closely with communications department to coordinate email and mail campaigns
EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Familiarity with Jewish life cycle events and an appreciation for the importance of a synagogue in a Jewish community is a plus
- 5+ years of experience in related field
- Working knowledge of and a passion for synagogue life
- Ability to interact with confidentiality, integrity, and tact when working with the diverse community
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and autonomously and exhibit strong follow-through
- Superb time-management skills are a must
- A demonstrated track record with database management (specifically Salesforce is a plus)
- High computer literacy: adept in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); familiarity with databases and online marketing
- Experience with Board and lay-leadership committee relations is a plus
Typically, this position works fully onsite. Temple Israel is currently open for limited onsite work, and candidates will be able to work remote through Covid-19 as warranted, though some job responsibilities will require onsite work. Hours are generally 9:00am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday, with occasional evening and weekend hours, including major Jewish holidays and some weekend events.
Compensation $54,000 - $59,000 a year.
Interested candidates should send a thoughtful cover letter to Shoshanna Goldberg.