Beth Am Synagogue is Baltimore City’s largest synagogue, with 450 family members. We are located in a historic, nearly 100-year-old building in Reservoir Hill, which recently underwent a major renovation. Staff offices are nearby in temporary rented facilities but will soon be moving to a new building to be built adjacent to the synagogue.
The Director of Congregational Engagement and Programming is responsible for coordinating the overall engagement, satisfaction, and retention of Beth Am members as well as most synagogue programming. The Director of Congregational Engagement and Programming will serve as a member of Beth Am Synagogue’s Senior Staff and will report to the Executive Director. Other responsibilities will include:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Create a warm, caring, enriching and vibrant environment for our members to engage fully in the many opportunities provided at the synagogue.
Develop, promote, and coordinate relational and experiential programs empowering lay leaders, fostering relationships across all ages and stages
Recruit, connect, motivate, and honor volunteers.
Provide support for and enable collaboration between a range of existing groups
Serve as a resource to the membership committee to assist in its work of identifying, recruiting, onboarding, and retaining members.
Assist in tracking prospective members, coordinating outreach to them from existing members, inviting them to appropriate activities, and developing mechanisms to integrate them into the congregation.
Collaborate with staff and volunteers to ensure that existing programs, including holiday activities, social action initiatives, social and educational programs, create opportunities for meaningful engagement, education, relationship building and Jewish inspiration.
Initiate new programs as needed, which may include synagogue-based programs as well as home or neighborhood-based groups, and Shabbat and holiday activities.
Collaborate with mission-aligned community partners
Ensure that engagement and follow up are integrated into all programming.
Manage, coordinate, and support Jewish holiday and Shabbat programs throughout the year, in conjunction with clergy and professional staff
Assist in envisioning, planning, and implementing High Holy Days.
Serve as staff liaison/lead for lay lead committees as directed.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a position requiring full time hours - some evening and weekend hours will be necessary. This candidate will need to be available for overseeing and being present at synagogue programs. The expectation is that the employee will be in the office when not meeting with congregants or running a program, with required attendance at weekly staff meetings, attendance of programs will be expected
Required Education, Experience and Professional Expectations:
· Bachelor’s, in a relevant or related field.
· four years (at a minimum) of relevant experience.
· Familiarity with social media platforms. Understands social media trends and is able to work with the marketing coordinator to adapt the synagogue’s vision to best practices.
· Experience and familiarity with Microsoft Office, SharePoint, WordPress (or similar content management system) and Constant -Contact , as well as experience with design software such as Canva, Publisher, Photoshop or InDesign.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across organization with wide variety of people.
· Strong writing, proofreading and editing skills
· Ability to prioritize, manage multiple assignments and meet tight deadlines, and to be able to plan out projects in advance
· Excellent organizational and project management skills
Interested candidates should send a cover letter noting salary expectations, and resume,
Prior to being hired the successful candidate will be subject to a background check.