A primary function of this and every other job at “The J” is to ensure by whatever rational and legal means necessary that each member, guest, and visitor leaves The J feeling just a little better than when they arrived.
Supervisor: Director of Jewish Life and Learning
The J is the town square of Jewish life in Tucson and Southern Arizona. Guided by values rooted in Jewish tradition, we are open to all people of all ages. Everyone belongs, while some may choose to formally join. As a result of a recent strategic planning process, we are seeking to build community through innovative Jewish programming. The programming might take place at the Tucson Jewish Community Center (also known as “The J”) or beyond the walls of our facility as River and Dodge. The J practices radical inclusivity and is a safe non-judgmental space for all. Our community is incredibly diverse with Jewish families and individuals self-identifying as: “Just Jewish,” Not Jewish, Culturally Jewish/Secular/Humanist, Jewish By Birth, Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, multi-faith, Israeli American, Jews of Color, LGBTQ, single-parent, differently-abled/special needs, low-income, middle-income, and affluent. The J welcomes the participation of self-identifying Jewish families of all backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
We are looking to find our perfect shiddach (match) to become the Jewish Community Connections Engagement Manager! The Jewish Community Connections Engagement Manager will serve as a resource to and connector of Jewish life in Tucson and Southern Arizona. The Jewish Community Connections Engagement Manager will build and maintain relationships with those seeking Jewish community, be a concierge to connect community members and families with offerings provided in various Jewish spaces, and create opportunities to support community members’ Jewish journeys as they unfold. The Jewish Community Connections Engagement Manager is an integral member of The J’s team beyond the Jewish Life and Learning department. Our ideal Jewish Community Connections Engagement Manager loves getting to know people, making new friends, and is looking for a job that allows them to be out in the community most of the time. This person has strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
A bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience is required. Our ideal Jewish Community Connections Engagement Manager has 1 to 3 years of work experience, is passionate about Jewish life and community, is a nimble learner, and is excited to experiment with new initiatives. Most importantly, we are looking for someone with the ability to have fun and enjoy yourself, your work, your human contacts, and your environment!
Key Position Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain an engagement portfolio: Meet, follow-up with, and build and maintain relationships with 100 community members and/or families. Actively track quantitative and qualitative data using The J’s customer relationship management (CRM) software and through other measures of reporting.
- Be a welcoming voice and face to new community members: Welcome, concierge, and connect new Jewish community members to Tucson and Southern Arizona. Become familiar with other Jewish organizations in town in order to help connect community members to current offerings. Collaborate to create new offerings where gaps exist between desired interests and current offerings.
- Foster meaningful Jewish journeys and help Jews in Tucson find their place in the Jewish community of Tucson, meeting them at their individual entry points: Facilitate intentionally curated experiences (whether they be micro-communities or cohort gatherings) related to Jewish life. Such micro-communities and cohorts might include, but are not limited to: Shabbat and holiday celebrations, gatherings for Jewish military families with young children, and a Jewish book club.
- Build relationships with and empower community volunteers to become active partners in this work of building and strengthening Jewish community.
- Other duties within the Jewish Life & Learning team as assigned.
This position is a full-time exempt position and is covered by the code of the Personnel Practices for Professional Staff.