Beth El Day Camp
1324 North Avenue • New Rochelle, New York 10804
In operation for almost 60 years, Beth El Day Camp offers an authentic eight-week summertime experience for approximately 220-250 campers in a safe and caring Jewish environment. Our traditional day camp is designed for campers ages 2-8 and our Arts and Theater Program is for children ages 9-12. Campers enjoy many activities including our American Red Cross aquatic program, sports, music, art, karate and STEM. Beth El Day Camp models positive values and encourages physical, social, and emotional growth for every child.
Our camp is part of Beth El Synagogue Center, a large, multi-generational, egalitarian congregation, located in New Rochelle, New York and affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism.
We are in search of a dynamic leader to join our team as Associate Director of our Day Camp. We are interested in candidates that are looking for a growth opportunity as we seek to transition our camp leadership over the coming months (after Summer 2023). The Associate Director will work collaboratively with our seasoned Camp Director of 28 years and will learn the ins and outs of our program while contributing their own insight and expertise. They will be involved in all aspects of planning and running camp and ensuring a successful and safe summer for all of our campers and staff. This is a full-time, year-round position, with flexible hours and some ability to work remotely during the fall and winter months. The 2023 camp season will run from June 27th- August 19th, from 9am-4pm. The Associate Director is actively on site during those dates, Monday through Friday, as well as some early morning, late day, evening and weekend hours as needed for camp preparation, parental visits, staff meetings and gatherings and other related events.
- Assisting with development and implementation of the camp calendar and ensuring quality content, including integration of Jewish culture, values and traditions into camp programming;
- Staff recruitment, hiring, orientation, and training;
- Staff supervision, including direct supervision of division leaders and specialists;
- Oversight of day-to-day operations during camp season; including ensuring a safe environment and that proper supervision is maintained at all times;
- Ensuring compliance with American Camp Association and county licensing documentation and operational requirements;
- Communicating with parents daily via in-person contact, phone and email;
- Assisting with marketing and camper and staff recruitment efforts;
- Organizing and maintaining camp resources and supplies
- Communicating and liaising with the Facilities Director and Chief Operating Officer.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Physical Education, Recreation or a related field; Master’s preferred;
- Three years’ prior experience in the supervision and administration of camping or related children’s programs;
- Superior organizational skills and keen attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven excellence in leadership and team-building;
- Ability to deliver high standards of customer service, problem-solving, and quality control;
- Dedication to a growth mindset (continued personal learning and development);
- Experience with Microsoft office, Google suite, and the use of social media for marketing purposes;
- Sense of humor and serious interest in having fun
Salary Range $60,000-$80,000 and comprehensive benefit package. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and search will remain open until a candidate is hired.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.