Temple Adat Shalom is an energetic, intergenerational, Reform congregation with 350 families located in beautiful, sunny Poway (North County Inland San Diego), California. As a proud member of the URJ, our congregation values and celebrates volunteerism, tikkun olam, and active engagement across the age spectrum.
Our Cantor of 40 years is retiring, and we are seeking a full-time Cantor or Cantorial Soloist who is passionate about Jewish life, and will strengthen our diverse, inclusive, and caring community in partnership with our clergy, senior staff, and lay leaders. The Cantor / Cantorial Soloist is responsible for our musical program, is an integral part of our temple family and will promote the love of Judaism in adults and children. Through t’fillah, music, and education, the Cantor enhances the spiritual life of the congregation.
- Effective communication skills to build warm relationships with children, adolescents, and adults through a shared love of music.
- Able to adjust communication of concepts to different audiences.
- Well versed in traditional and contemporary Jewish music, as well as diverse musical genres.
- Guided by Jewish ethics.
- Excited to explore and help create new forms of worship.
- Can relate to, understand, and support our interfaith and LGBTQ+ communities.
- Musical training—can read and transpose music.
- Willing and able to sing with and without accompaniment.
- Adaptable teaching skills for working with B’nei Mitzvah students at various skill levels.
- Understanding of modern Reform Jewish liturgy.
- Ability to read and teach Hebrew.
- Competency in chanting and teaching trope.
- Ability to direct musical programs, such as adult and child choirs, band, Purim Spiel and more.
- Knows how to lead, manage and delegate.
- Ability to transpose music.
- Play a musical instrument.
- Clinical Pastoral education or experience.
- Social media savvy/experience.
B’nei Mitzvah training
- Coordinate tutors, parent updates and meetings.
- Strategize and adapt teaching style for pupils with learning differences.
- Partner with Rabbi to customize B’nei Mitzvah services as needed.
- Record and distribute Torah portion and prayers to each individual student.
- Final polishing of all B'nei Mitzvah students.
High Holy Day Services
- Engage in all aspects of HHD services, including planning, musical selection, rehearsing of choirs and accompanists.
- Conduct service with Rabbi and lay choir.
- If needed, arrange for additional paid choir members, accompanist, and choir director.
Mosad Shalom (Hebrew School)/Early Childhood Education Center
- Working with the Religious School Director, develop and lead an exciting and innovative music curriculum, including regular music sessions during class time as well as t’fillah.
- Build and lead choir/band/hip hop/a Capella groups per student interests.
- Collaborate with Director of Early Childhood Education Center in developing ECE music programming.
Additional Responsibilities (may vary depending on whether a Cantor or Cantorial Soloist)
- Partner with Rabbi in developing and leading creative and meaningful worship services, including Shabbat (Friday evenings and Saturday mornings) as well as holiday services and events.
- Participate in life-cycle events.
- Cultivate musical talent within the congregation.
- Arrange special musical events such as guest artist concerts and congregational talent programs.
- Participate in leading occasional Adult Education classes.
- Help fund-raise for musical programs and manage those funds.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid vacation and sick time, medical benefits, employer contribution to retirement savings
Target Start: Early 2023
References upon request
Sample recordings upon request