Associate Director of Youth and Teen Engagement
Temple Israel Center, White Plains, NY
What is the Position?
Are you passionate about Jewish learning and living? Are you excited about engaging youth and teens through dynamic and innovative experiences? We’re looking for someone to join our vision-driven Education Team to work in a thriving community. We’d love to hear from you!
We are a fully egalitarian Conservative congregation with a large and vibrant membership base of about 600 families. We are deeply committed to fostering Jewish engagement in an atmosphere of mutual respect and inclusion. We want our teens to feel connected and inspired, and to experience their Judaism in a meaningful and relevant way.
Who is the Successful Candidate?
You are a people-person, drawn to working with children of various ages, but especially teens. You are energetic, dynamic, captivating, and creative; a person who works well both independently and as part of a team. You are passionate about Jewish learning and living, and are comfortable working in the Conservative movement. You are motivated by the challenge of creating deep learning and engagement opportunities. You envision the big picture while also rolling up your sleeves to do the work that will translate into progress. Experience working at camp or in informal/experiential settings is certainly a plus!
What are the Responsibilities?
- Don’t wait for the teens to come to you! Reach out to diverse groups of teens to develop relationships and build a robust program of engagement.
- Collaborate with educators, teens, and parents to create innovative approaches for youth group engagement for 6th– 12th graders. Lead youth group programming, including Shabbatons, social justice opportunities including an annual service trip, and regular events.
- Serve as the Shinshinim site supervisor to bring more of Israel into our community.
- Work with the education team to supervise our teen Madrichim.
- Participate in our community on Shabbat at least twice a month, including leading a family and/or teen service, and/or offering other youth engagement.
- Collaborate with the education team and clergy on large community-wide programs around various holidays as well as other communal events.
- Lead Teen High Holiday programming/services.
- Serve as a core member of an inspiring Education Team! Collaborate on Shorashim (preK-7th grade religious school), curriculum development and synagogue-wide programming for youth, and participate in relevant meetings with advisory councils.
- Serve as an educator in Shorashim teaching on Sunday mornings as well as Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.
- Teach as part of a rotation in the communal High School program (The Teen Collab)
- Assist in planning and facilitating B’nai Mitzvah Cohort family learning, serving as lead educator on approximately 4 programs throughout the year.
- Schedule programs/events, ensuring that all logistics are attended to and working with the administrative team as needed.
- Manage marketing, publicity, social media, and outreach for these programs.
- Participate in weekly Education Team and Clergy/Ed Team Meetings, as well as monthly Full Staff Meetings (or as necessary).
This position is supervised by the Director of Learning and Inclusion and includes mentoring and professional learning opportunities.
Start date: July 1, 2023, flexible
- $60-$70K based on experience
- Paid time off, health and retirement benefits
- Supplemental parental leave benefits
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Michelle Steinhart, Director of Learning and Inclusion.