The Associate Director of Database and Donor Service’s primary role is to support the strategic goals of the Development Department at Spertus Institute through database management, financial tracking, donor research, reporting, and administrative support. The Associate Director functions as a leader for the Development Department’s internal workflow and is responsible for: the overall management and integrity of the Raiser’s Edge database; instilling best practices in development systems and procedures; gift processing and reporting; coordinating various technologies and platforms across the Institute as they relate to development, and donor research. This position reports to the Vice President for Advancement.
The Associate Director of Database and Donor Services role is an exciting opportunity for a motivated professional who is interested in a mission-driven nonprofit organization that is expanding its programmatic and geographic footprint across the globe. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter possessing excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, with the ability to analyze and synthesize data to make strategic recommendations and support the Institute’s growing fundraising efforts.
- Manage the Institute’s Raiser’s Edge database to create, track, manage and upload all constituent records and information in a timely manner. This includes detailed maintenance of constituent codes, funds, appeals, attributes, relationships, personal information, event attendance, etc.
- Maintain accurate contact information for all constituencies through proactive updating of addresses, phones, emails, etc., including NCOA list verification. Update constituent codes with change of status (i.e., current students to alumni) on a timely basis to facilitate appropriate communications.
- Maintain and update all aspects of the database including global changes and complex exporting and importing procedures. Transfer new constituent information from other internal databases.
- Conduct batch wealth screenings and sync with database.
- In coordination with the Marketing team, oversee administration of mailings and email communications, including producing constituent lists, database segmentation, mail merges, and coordination with outside mailing houses.
- Develop and maintain expertise in database and systems, train staff where needed, assist with new and complex data features, and supervise any software conversion process or change.
Gift Processing and Reporting
- Enter and process all gifts and pledges into Raiser’s Edge database. Provide appropriate documentation to Accounting Department to ensure gifts are booked correctly.
- Reconcile monthly and annually with Accounting Department on all gifts and pledges, outstanding balances, and fundraising totals.
- Oversee gift acknowledgement protocols to ensure proper donor stewardship. Work closely with Development Coordinator to ensure timely donor acknowledgement, receipts, statements, membership materials, and pledge reminders.
- Process credit card transactions, one-time or recurring, as necessary and follow up on failed transactions.
- Produce regular gift summary reports as well as other financial, analytical, statistical and demographic reports and dashboards as needed by the Development team, Spertus leadership, or Board of Trustees.
- Prepare and proof for accuracy all donor listings for the Institute’s online donor wall.
- Utilize external research tools including iWave, DonorSearch, AlumniFinder, and Foundation Directory Online to supplement constituent records and create prospect and donor reports for frontline fundraisers.
- Conduct in-depth research on donors and foundations to assist in the cultivation of new relationships and prepare for meetings and/or presentations.
- Make recommendations on strategic fundraising initiatives, based on donor and donor database research.
The Associate Director of Database and Donor Services may be asked to perform other tasks and assist with other projects as needed.
Bachelor's degree and minimum of 4 years' experience in a non-profit organization. Extensive knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge/NXT required. Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Strong writing and research skills.