2013 Sansom St
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Part-Time up to 20 hours per week
Start date: September 5th, 2023, with 2 onboarding days August 2nd and 3rd
Primary Responsibility: Prepare for and teach daily in our Lab School.
How will you do that?
- Typical schedule Monday through Friday OR Monday through Wednesday from 2pm-6pm. Various positions available.
- We are flexible if you are not available every afternoon.
- Teach daily in afterschool enrichment Monday through Friday
- Jewish Enrichment programming runs Monday through Friday from 3-6pm
- Please note: the full-time teacher in each classroom is primarily responsible for lesson planning. Assistant teachers work with them to create classroom materials and facilitate daily learning.
- See our calendar for Jewish Holidays and other school closures. https://makomcommunity.org/about-makom/calendar/
- Collaborate with the lead teacher in your classroom to facilitate learning.
- Create learning materials for your classroom.
- General program support: Supply organization, snack setup, etc.
- Build strong relationships with students and families
- Communicate with parents by email, text (on an app, not with your phone#), and in person.
- Have regular supervision with Director of Teaching and Learning.
- Pick students up by walking or public transit daily from an area elementary school. Walk up to two miles round trip.
- Set goals for your own learning and growth and check in with them regularly in supervision.
- Grow Makom Community’s culture of intentionality, empathy, and listening deeply to children and their adults.
- Required within 30 days of hire: Maintain all appropriate background checks: PA State Police, PA Child Abuse History, and FBI fingerprinting.
Collaborators and Supporters
- Team of educators as you create your daily classroom experience.
- Supervised by Director of Teaching & Learning.
Makom Community transforms Jewish Education by creating and modeling Jewish Placemaking in collaboration with educators, children, and their families. Our pedagogy for Jewish Education celebrates curiosity and questioning of Jewish wisdom as well as deep interpersonal and communal connections. Our roots in Jewish tradition are a springboard for children to be kind, confident, and resilient leaders today and in the future. We listen deeply to children’s voices as they build a community where they love to be. Through our experiences together, Makom Community is committed to creating a more just world as an outgrowth of our Jewish learning. We are nurturing a Jewish community that is open to anyone who wants to engage with Jewish life alongside their family.
Quick Facts about Makom Community
- Daily, high-quality Jewish education (PreK-8th grade) as afterschool enrichment.
- Project-based and child-led learning.
- School’s Out Camps during school vacations, snow days, and early dismissals.
- Growing model of family and adult learning and holiday services.
- All staff & learners are expected to stay up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccinations.
- 1 weeks paid time off (5 days) & 1 week of paid sick leave (5 days)
- Funding for professional development
- Supportive team environment
- Room to grow in this role and and on our team
Email your resume and cover letter to Director of Teaching and Learning Amanda Hollander at [email protected].
Makom Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome employees and prospective employees without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or veteran status.