As a key member of the senior management team, the Comptroller reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (the “CEO”) and assumes a strategic role in the overall financial management of Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity and its affiliated corporate entities. The Organization embraces remote work but most executive leadership is located in the Chicago area.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Under the general supervision and direction of the CEO, the comptroller has primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities. They also have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
· Consults on all aspects of the finance and accounting functions of the organization.
· Provides leadership in the development for and continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives.
· Evaluates and advises on the financial impact of the Fraternity’s strategic planning initiatives and in the introduction of new programs, initiatives or strategies.
· Develops recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance for cash holdings, investments, and financing.
· Develops recommendations for new and alternative revenue sources and business opportunities to supplement the primary income sources of the organization
· Analyzes financial results, and utilizes financial metrics to identify trends, opportunities and actionable items that considers current processes, potential opportunities, and future conditions.
Financial & Controls
· Develops and enhances processes and procedures for cash management and transaction processing.
· Develops and enhances internal controls and financial policies and procedures designed to mitigate risk and ensure the accuracy of reported financial results.
· Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
· Reviews compliance with and accounting for the corpus, income, disbursements and transfers of board designated, temporary restricted, and permanently restricted funds.
· Prepares corporate resolutions related to financial matters and set-aside functions as necessary.
Budgeting & Forecasting
· Develops annual budgets in collaboration with the CEO, and works with other members of the senior management team on periodic and annual budget vs. actual analysis.
· Establishes and maintains strong relationships with other members of the senior management team to identify their potential financial needs.
· Develops and enhances a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash thresholds to meet operating needs.
· Manages the accounting staff that handle accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll and fixed asset management for multiple affiliated entities in order to provide leadership and management of the overall fiscal functions and financial strategy of the organization.
· Manages billing processes for the collection of chapter and initiation fees due
· Develops strategies for managing accounts receivable from chapters, members, event attendees, tenants across all AEPi affiliated entities.
· Manage budgeting, financial forecasting, cash flow, and allocation of income and expense for existing program, operations and staffing, as well as proposed new initiatives.
· Ensures the timely and accurate completion of month and year end closing processes.
· Reviews and approves monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reporting materials and metrics prepared for the CEO and board members of each organization.
· Manages the annual financial statement and tax preparation process, including related data requests from outside accounting firms or auditors.
· Analyzes the performance of existing real estate holdings and develops recommendations for improving performance or mitigating losses as appropriate.
· Develops financial strategies and recommendations for capital real estate investment, including budgeting, cash flow and mortgage analysis of chapter housing rental or purchase opportunities.
· Manages human resource needs, including employee onboarding, offboarding and termination functions and changes to 401k deferrals or health insurance coverage.
· Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules related to employees.
· Develops and enhances employee policies and manages the employee manual.
· Processes employee requests such as vacation approvals and PTO.
· Facilitates the organization’s insurance programs, policies, renewals, and claims, including the annual policy renewal processes.
· Manages the corporate compliance needs of the all affiliated entities.
· Develops and enhances financial policies for Alpha Epsilon Pi chapters and reviews the compliance of chapters related to accounting and tax reporting.
· Attends board meetings as requested.
· Performs the tasks as further assigned by the CEO.
Growth Commensurate within Vision 2032 (strategic Plan) Framework
· Will manage chapter financial management process and platform (launch expected 2035)
· Will Manage chapter collections staff (2035/2036)
· Will assist in managing a single member insurance captive