Mensch Academy aides support joyful and affirming learning spaces for the children in their classroom, either as a group or individually. This job is a part time, hourly position in our Chicago office, reporting to the Director of Mensch Academy and working closely with the part-time facilitator team.
Mensch Academy is Mishkan Chicago’s supplementary Jewish educational program where kids feel loved enough and safe enough to take risks and experiment with Jewish tradition, make it their own, and are always welcomed as their whole selves. The role of Mensch Academy Aide requires creative and adaptive approaches to relationship building and social emotional support, in recognition of the unique nature of each child in our program. We relate to students with kavod/respect for each person’s mind and spirit, adults and children alike. Grounded in progressive education pedagogy, Mensch Academy places focus not only on teaching kids, but on growing and developing thoughtful, reflective educators and staff.
Mishkan Chicago/Mensch Academy seeks diversity in its staff and educators. That means we invite applications from different denominations, religious and cultural backgrounds. We are searching for candidates of color, candidates who are disabled, candidates who are neurodivergent, candidates who are Jews by choice, candidates in the LGBTQ community, and candidates on any part of the incredibly rich gender spectrum.
What You’ll Do:
On-site at our Mensch Academy space in Ravenswood Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, from 3:15 pm to 6:15. Position begins at $30/hour.
- Be a valuable member of our Mensch Academy team
- Contribute genuinely, kindly, and with kavod (respect/honor) to classroom experience
- Bring your full self and strong presence to team meetings and brainstorms
- Collaborate with Director, Facilitators, and Mishkan staff as required
- Provide individualized and responsive student support
- Work closely with neurodivergent student(s) in classroom of 12 students with two adult facilitators
- Support students in classroom participation to their fullest ability and desire
- Merge work experience and training with Mensch Academy philosophy
Who We're Looking For:
- Professional or academic experience in paraprofessionalism, SEL, or related fields
- Excellent initiative and problem solving skills in a classroom setting
- Experience working with grade school-aged children
- Ability to practice flexible and adaptive classroom management
- Excitement about progressive, child-centered education
- Background in Jewish and/or experiential education (not required)
- Song leading or guitar experience preferred (but not required)
Systemic inequities in hiring have caused women, people of color, LBTQIA+ folks, and others to apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Mishkan encourages you to break that statistic and apply, as no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We look forward to your application.
Mishkan is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees with respect to any terms or conditions of employment on account of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related condition, citizenship, military service status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. When necessary, Mishkan will reasonably accommodate employees and applicants with known physical or mental disabilities or medical conditions if the person is otherwise qualified to safely perform all of the essential functions of the position.
Please send resume to Julie at [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Mishkan Chicago is a Jewish Spiritual Community located in Chicago, Illinois. We reinvent and breathe new life into Judaism. We create radically inclusive spaces for Jewish spiritual practice and community, engaging, educating, and empowering people across the spectrum of identity, background, age, and belief. Our aim is to lead people in Chicago and beyond toward more purposeful, more connected, and more inspired lives.